AC Line into block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sethturbo

Reaction score
93 chevy k2500 5.7 6 lug r12 system

Hi,
So i just purchased some envirosafe r12 online and plan on trying to recharge my truck that hasn’t had ac since i bought it . Just doing a basic run over of the ac system i can see a few things wrong already. The super thick line that comes out of the firewall and into the block has a lot of corrosion where the fitting is. so i need to know the name of that line to replace it cause i assume it has something to do with the ac. Second thing is it looks as if my lines to my condenser have been modified? just need to know what the next step is in righting the previous owners wrongs .

Please help Thankyou!

Pictured: line out of firewall with corrosion on block end , Lines running into what i think is the compressor

Attachments

• IMG_4406.jpeg
    IMG_4406.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4407.jpeg
    IMG_4407.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4404.jpeg
    IMG_4404.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4405.jpeg
    IMG_4405.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4408.jpeg
    IMG_4408.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 15

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The first line is a heater hose coolant line/hose. Where it comes out of the firewall, is the heater core. The other lines/hoses are transmission cooling lines and that is an add on transmission cooler in the front.

That heater hose/coolant line quick connects in to a fitting at the block/intake. Those are notorious for corroding so badly that they break. IMO, with your obvious lack of knowledge about a/c-engine cooling-transmission systems, it is best that you leave the work to someone trained and knowledgeable. Don't take this wrong, just accept that you lack knowledge and need training.

sethturbo

Reaction score
The first line is a heater hose coolant line/hose. Where it comes out of the firewall, is the heater core. The other lines/hoses are transmission cooling lines and that is an add on transmission cooler in the front.

That heater hose/coolant line quick connects in to a fitting at the block/intake. Those are notorious for corroding so badly that they break. IMO, with your obvious lack of knowledge about a/c-engine cooling-transmission systems, it is best that you leave the work to someone trained and knowledgeable. Don't take this wrong, just accept that you lack knowledge and need training.
I’m not oblivious about the lines. I’ve owned this truck for about a year know and have redone its front end, brakes. and a few interior components along with some motor upkeep and preventative maintenance. I had previously thought it was a trans cooler but got over that thought due to thinking only the 4l80s came with trans coolers. admittedly i should have taken a closer look at the lines but it definitely looked like those two lines should be plugged into the radiator with the two outlets there. i’m not gonna replace the heater line as of now. So the only ac lines on our trucks are the two that come in a set from the compressor? looking into buying new lines when i put new refrigerant in.

sethturbo

Reaction score

Definitely not 100 percent on knowing all the lines on this truck yet. definitely have things to learn. but i mean it’s a obs the ac is probably the most complicated thing on it. I have a chevy colorado which i normally work on so the obs seems so simple in comparison

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Dude is asking about his ac on his truck. Plenty of info here and plenty of people to help figure stuff out.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the only ac lines on our trucks are the two that come in a set from the compressor? looking into buying new lines when i put new refrigerant in.
There’s also one from the condenser to the evaporator. Here’s the system schematic.

You must be registered for see images attach

The 93 GM manuals can be downloaded here for free and have all of the details on the system:

The accumulator should be replaced when the system is open, so heads up that its connection to the evaporator at the firewall may be seized. If it twists and breaks the line, you’ll need a new evaporator. Same for the evap inlet fitting.

That generally means that you’re pulling the dash to get to it. On the plus side, you can then replace the leaking dampers and reseal the air box.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get the service manual and read up AC , learn a little about the system and the operating parts first. Does it have R134 conversion fittings? How long has it not been operational? Do you why it's not working? Have you ever brought a dead system back to life? Leak, check, vacuum down , reservoir? The Factory service manual is available in the sticky above, link to PDF for your year download.

sethturbo

Reaction score
Get the service manual and read up AC , learn a little about the system and the operating parts first. Does it have R134 conversion fittings? How long has it not been operational? Do you why it's not working? Have you ever brought a dead system back to life? Leak, check, vacuum down , reservoir? The Factory service manual is available in the sticky above, link to PDF for your year download.
First time messing with ac. No clue how long it’s been down. i’m the third owner and i know the second owner bashed it a bit. r12. in terms of fitting i don’t think so everything looks stock and the compressor says r12 so i figure its that. I’ll read up on the manual before i attempt anything. thankyou

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's because 93 was the last year with factory R12. 94 and up are factory R134. Compressor doesn't care about refrigerant, but you must use lube oil that is compatible with refrigerant you use. Using the service manual , gets you ahead of the game. As you said your new to this, avoid guessing.