My AC System won't take Freon (97 Chevy K1500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have tried any of the advice given , or are just trying random thoughts? Cause whatever methods your using don't work. Maybe your a take to the dealer kind of guy.

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I nedd some help I replaced everything and it held vacuum just fine for over 2 hours now after running the vehicle for about a week I'm hearing a hissing noise when I shut the truck off after running the ac.for awhile so I think i got a leaked at the orfice tune conection at the front of the vehicle ..or is it normal to have a hissing noise after system and vehicle shuts off.After using thr ac.for a.good hours while driving

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you turning the can upside down?

I wouldn't turn the can upside down, that'll put liquid into the suction side which may find it's way into the compressor in a liquid state... which can lead to compressor problems.

Get a pail of hot water and stick the can in the water, not submerged but deep enough to heat the refrigerant in the can and raise the pressure.

When I charge an empty system, I put liquid into the HP side while the system's still in vacuum. This method works well... and the compressor is off of course.

I'm hearing a hissing noise when I shut the truck off after running the ac.

This is typical.

Last edited:

jasolhe

Reaction score
Took it to a shop and their best electrical guy couldn't figure it out. Fried 3 very expensive AC Head units. Bought a wiring kit with a switch, jumped into the AC Compressor Relay, connected to battery, drilled hole through firewall, mounted on/off switch inside cab, works great.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... Bought a wiring kit with a switch, jumped into the AC Compressor Relay, connected to battery, drilled hole through firewall, mounted on/off switch inside cab, works great.

Does the compressor still cycle like it should?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That doesn't fix the problem. You side stepped it. After the second smoked unit. That told you there was a short .