Steering wheel off 90°

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will add he tried to center steering wheel by adjusting tie rods. Wouldn’t work because he said passenger side outer & inner were almost touching when he adjusted them, so the other side would’ve been at end of sleeve. His words.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will add he tried to center steering wheel by adjusting tie rods. Wouldn’t work because he said passenger side outer & inner were almost touching when he adjusted them, so the other side would’ve been at end of sleeve. His words.

You don’t want to do that anyway. Ideally, when the front wheels are straight, the input shaft to the steering gear has its flat portion facing straight up at 12 o’clock. The gear is designed to operate in that position to provide a certain steering feel both on and off center.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Hopefully he brought the tie rods back to straight. Otherwise your actual steering will be way off and you could over-extend the steering causing a lockup if the knuckle goes past 180* from the tie rod.

I think the lock-to-lock is in the steering box so you really don't want to adjust anything past that to compensate too much for the steering wheel. A few degrees is fine but not 90* or so much that one side is completely collapsed and the other is on with just a few threads

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hopefully he brought the tie rods back to straight. Otherwise your actual steering will be way off and you could over-extend the steering causing a lockup if the knuckle goes past 180* from the tie rod.

I think the lock-to-lock is in the steering box so you really don't want to adjust anything past that to compensate too much for the steering wheel. A few degrees is fine but not 90* or so much that one side is completely collapsed and the other is on with just a few threads
he did

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If you kept the old shaft you could also install a Flaming River U-joint in place of the rag joint

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

That’s what I was gonna upgrade to but I was in a pinch last weekend.