Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
What's the aversion to DBW?
Genuinely curious.

Increased points of failure.

There are plastic gears on the servo driving the throttle blade. Those begin to wear and can start throwing codes. People are having to replace these more as the years creep up on them. While I haven't tore into a pedal, it would make sense that it would basically be a potentiometer, those fail or get dirty also.

A cable is just simple AF, and has worked for a loooong time. Cheap, easy to fix. Plus a pedal, cable and plain TB weigh less than the bulky DBW TB, wiring, and pedal. The cruise could make up for that weight though.

You also have to tune your throttle pedal....or its crappy from the factory. Someone doing race stuff might come in and argue that they can get a faster times with DBW, but thats a whole buncha fidding in HPtuners trying to shave a few thousands of a second when money is on the line to win the race.

A fun hot rod truck...tire slippage is usually because someone is...having fun.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Increased points of failure.

There are plastic gears on the servo driving the throttle blade. Those begin to wear and can start throwing codes. People are having to replace these more as the years creep up on them. While I haven't tore into a pedal, it would make sense that it would basically be a potentiometer, those fail or get dirty also.

A cable is just simple AF, and has worked for a loooong time. Cheap, easy to fix. Plus a pedal, cable and plain TB weigh less than the bulky DBW TB, wiring, and pedal. The cruise could make up for that weight though.

You also have to tune your throttle pedal....or its crappy from the factory. Someone doing race stuff might come in and argue that they can get a faster times with DBW, but thats a whole buncha fidding in HPtuners trying to shave a few thousands of a second when money is on the line to win the race.

A fun hot rod truck...tire slippage is usually because someone is...having fun.
You certainly have some valid points. I will dig some more into it. I do like the simplicity factor for sure. I'm sure it's a few keystrokes or box clicks in the ECM to switch to DBC.
You have given me some things to think about for sure. Thanks for your input.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^ What he says. I've had 2 LS swapped trucks. one with DBW and one withe DBC. I find the DBC truck much easier to drive. Also, if you happen to be working on your engine while its' running, you can manually operate the throttle whereas with a DBW setup, you need a second party to help with throttle operation while you're in the engine house. For your truck, you can even keep your stock gas pedal with DBC. Just get a throttle cable from an early LS equipped truck and swap it for your TBI cable.

BTW, I've noticed the back of your intake plenum has the vacuum port for power brakes plugged. I have the correct nipple for vacuum brakes if you'd like it. Just PM me your address and I'll get it out to you. It's just languishing in my toolbox, and I'll not be needing it

Attachments

• DSCN0788.JPG
    DSCN0788.JPG
    263.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0789.JPG
    DSCN0789.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 6

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^ What he says. I've had 2 LS swapped trucks. one with DBW and one withe DBC. I find the DBC truck much easier to drive. Also, if you happen to be working on your engine while its' running, you can manually operate the throttle whereas with a DBW setup, you need a second party to help with throttle operation while you're in the engine house. For your truck, you can even keep your stock gas pedal with DBC. Just get a throttle cable from an early LS equipped truck and swap it for your TBI cable.

BTW, I've noticed the back of your intake plenum has the vacuum port for power brakes plugged. I have the correct nipple for vacuum brakes if you'd like it. Just PM me your address and I'll get it out to you. It's just languishing in my toolbox, and I'll not be needing it
Thanks for your input and offer! Very gracious.
I have to get back to the yard this week hopefully, and I'll look for the vacuum port thingy. And if I don't, I'll reach out and help you clean out your toolbox! Lol

And I'll keep an eye out for a DBC cable and throttle body, scoop them up so at least they are here.

Thanks again.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's easy to remove the fitting. Just slide the red retaining ring into the plenum, and the fitting should just pull out. Also, be aware that the later year throttle bodies have 4 studs to hold them in place, whereas the earlier ones use 3 studs. Not sure what year yours is

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's easy to remove the fitting. Just slide the red retaining ring into the plenum, and the fitting should just pull out. Also, be aware that the later year throttle bodies have 4 studs to hold them in place, whereas the earlier ones use 3 studs. Not sure what year yours is
Mine is from a 03 Denali, I looked and counted 3.
If I remember correctly, the reason why I was going DBW was to retain cruise control.
More research needed!! Lol

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No steering shaft? Oh hell no!!! I'd be driving around in a constant state of **** pucker.
Ya it's spooky for sure!!!
But did research before I bought it, and it seems they have it pretty dialed in. No reports of failure I could find. I'm sure the NTSA(I believe it is) would have been all over them if they weren't "ok!" Lol