Best deep muffler for 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerSteez

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my 454tbi truck with the flowmaster fx oval installed with no cat. You can skip to :035.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
. Video is not the best since it was inside my shop but the idle sound is fairly accurate.

It has no drone, sounds quiet in the cab, idle outside the truck is not obnoxious. Sounds very similar to a magnaflow. If you're looking for a loud exhaust then this is definitely not it but I was surprised when I heard someone else drive my truck down the road last week. Had the shop across the street do an alignment and when he took it for a test drive he went by my shop and I was pleasantly surprised at the exhaust sound I was hearing, sounds strong without being obnoxious and definitely has a more pronounced sound under the load of driving which I never picked up on when I'm the one inside the cab driving it.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whatever muffler you choose, don't weld it on or use the cheap mufflers clamps. Tighten em down once and it puts a crease and a royal pain to get off. Spend a couple extra bucks n get band clamps, and my favorite, use alot of never seize!!!! Smear it on the inside of the muffler and the outside of the pipe. Yeah it will smoke when it gets hot, but won't burn completely off, making it much easier to remove if you don't like the muffler.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whatever muffler you choose, don't weld it on or use the cheap mufflers clamps. Tighten em down once and it puts a crease and a royal pain to get off. Spend a couple extra bucks n get band clamps, and my favorite, use alot of never seize!!!! Smear it on the inside of the muffler and the outside of the pipe. Yeah it will smoke when it gets hot, but won't burn completely off, making it much easier to remove if you don't like the muffler.
I only use V bands. Easy to remove and no leaks

John DeWitt

Reaction score
I've been studying on this for myself for the better parts of 3 years now. Now i'm not some highscooler who wants to be in a loud shitbox & think himself Dale Earnhardt mind you, a nice deep tone without rattling every baby awake on my way to & from my night shift is what I'm after. I agree with many here, I had narrowed my choices down to the Flowmaster FX or Magnaflow 12468. Specifically these not just for the droneless sound but for the improved scavenging both would provide. If I'm gonna spend money, it better save money. I'm not expecting 15 extra hp or 50lbs of added torque, but maybe squeeze out a mile or 2 extra per gallon. Whatever the gain, gain is gain. I know the 350's enjoy some better scavenging & flow. With that said I have ultimately & for simplicities sake settled on the Magnaflow 12468. Decent open flow, dual-in / dual-out integrated x-pipe, deep tones, improves scavenging, damn near direct bolt up. Of course, I have wondered if running the 12468 & a Flowmast FX directly behind each outlet would maybe create not just better scavenging & flow but a more throaty tone.
Given how much room there is under my 99 Suburban, maybe I'll experiment at some point.
MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust Muffler 12468: 2.5"/2.5" Inlet/Outlet, 5x8x18" Oval, Stainless Steel, Satin Finish https://a.co/d/d7yzpEd

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only opportunity to scavenge the exhaust is the long tube headers. After the headers there is zero opportunity to scavenge exhaust
Well yes and no. Smaller exhaust pipes will will create some negative pressure behind the exhaust pulse until the pulse hits a resistance such as a bend in the pipe or the muffler at lower RPM's. At higher RPM's smaller pipes create a restriction. Larger pipes coming off the collectors have less scavenging affect but broaden the torque range as do crossovers and X pipes and with less restriction. I choose the latter when designing an exhaust system.

n2xlr8n

Reaction score
I've paid attention to Calvin Elston over the years- he may be one of, if not THE most talented behind the scenes guys in exhaust science and header fabrication.

In his opinion, the most important factors in exhaust design (for a given engine combination) are-

-pipe diameter, bends immediately after the exhaust port and collector design. <<Funny that; he had no access to available, modern science when he was kicking tail in Nascar...but today it's proven ole Calvin was on the money. He took a lot of grief back in the day from the "in the know" crowd, lol.

I'll add that I've made additional power (as Sean and Scooter mentioned) by using an X-pipe- location is important, so I usually put spray paint in the area where I'm thinking about building it. Where it immediately burns off is where it goes.

I'm going with the Dynomax with the built in X-pipe. I'm a fan of Magnaflow, too.