93 454 TBI - no start after head gasket replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
OBDI. Not utilizing any scan tools
Numerous scan tools and laptop/phone apps that enable you to access the datastream on OBDI vehicles. I use tunerpro rt and a cable from the site below (first page that popped up, choose the cable that suits your equipment) . I have no affiliation with either.

http://aldlcable.com/products/aldlobd1u.asp

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OBDI. Not utilizing any scan tools
Numerous scan tools and laptop/phone apps that enable you to access the datastream on OBDI vehicles.
Yup. Just get an OBD1-capable scan tool.

Did you make sure that your distributor was dropped back in with cylinder 1 at tdc and not number 8 at tdc?
#1 has #6 as it's companion cylinder, not #8.
1--8--4--3
6--5--7--2
1 & 6, 8 & 5, 4 & 7, 3 & 2.

Which is why 4 & 7, and 3 & 2 firing-order cam swaps are popular--the LS-series engines have both of those.

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll just put these here just in case...

a good read through this may be helpful as well

SableSlayer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup. Just get an OBD1-capable scan tool.

#1 has #6 as it's companion cylinder, not #8.
1--8--4--3
6--5--7--2
1 & 6, 8 & 5, 4 & 7, 3 & 2.

Which is why 4 & 7, and 3 & 2 firing-order cam swaps are popular--the LS-series engines have both of those.
Haha thanks! I know you know these motors a lot better than I do and thanks for all your in site.
Mine has put me through hell since I got it in 2020 but at this point I can change anything on it in a few hours time including heads and main bearings lol