Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dasburb

Reaction score
Is moving out of California an option lol?
No. And I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Not single; have roots here. I wouldn't propagate the failed policymaking if I moved, inb4.

I think more than anyone in this thread I hate what has happened here with a burning passion.

I have seen every county here, seen incredible things; insert memories of standing in the snow overlooking big sur, in ancient redwood and bristlecone pine groves, gleaming cities in my childhood, quiet alpine lakes, the roar of the pacific, atop 14,000 foot peaks, under the almond blooms in the Central Valley, beneath broad oaks and amidst vineyards, all lost like tears in the rain. I was mostly carried to and from those places by the car I'm posting about. I've seen the absolute worst side of things too--I'm writing this comment from a BART train in west oakland. I've seen stockton and barstow and south-central LA and eureka. Believe me, I know.

We'll see what happens with this election. If things start to devolve and my family is jeopardized in a serious manner the ol' burb is going to be an important component of carrying us to safety. It's another reason on the laundry list I want it running smoothly.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I'm wondering about a swap is I have a 99' CARB compliant cat system I got for free and my 97' is absolutely SMOKED.

It's hard to beat "free".

(edit: The best part of this story begins the 3rd to last paragraph)

Try to follow along. Whether any of the following "makes sense" in Cali is TBD; I'm in IL, not Cali.

On my 1998, I believe I can tune it to operate with two O2 sensors in front (prior to the cats) and one O2 sensor in the rear (after). This configuration (two front, one rear) jibes with that 1999 exhaust system you've scored for "free". As I noted in my earlier post, my 1998 system at present is the same as yours, two O2 front, two O2 back.

The image below shows the tuning parameter I'm referencing (see the YELLOW arrow, ignore the RED arrow) to re-configure the ECU to expect the two O2 front / one O2 rear system. That parameter, and maybe the other parameter adjacent "Single/Dual Exhaust System", would need to be altered.

You must be registered for see images attach

So it appears the "tune" can be tweaked to accommodate the O2 sensors present on the "free" system.

Also, the "tune" can be tweaked to disable error indications (i.e., it won't turn on the "SES" light or set a code) for the O2 sensors, if that becomes an issue, e.g., see the parameter list below:

You must be registered for see images attach

How can you "tune" your ECU? I use JET's Dynamic Spectrum Tuner (p/n 14005), which reportedly works on 1996 and later ECUs (@df2x4 has used JET on his trucks' ECU(s) from... 1996 or 1997). I see JET's DST selling for ~$400, but maybe less if you look around.

Perhaps there are other options for tuning.

I don't have an induction heater and don't wanna risk it with a torch.

I know the feeling.

Maybe it's just a "muffler shop has to just weld it all back together and put on stainless nuts" situ

Consider solid brass or copper plated nuts, not stainless. Stainless can gall easily and essentially lock itself to the mating fastener. Ask me how I know.

I used brass M10-1.5 nuts on my L31's exhaust manifold studs.

I can do many things, but adding learning to weld would be overwhelming at this point

Welding is a craft I've wanted to learn myself. Supposedly it's much easier with the TIG/MIG systems available now instead of the old "stick" welders.

as I'm in the midst of a career change into mechanical engineering.

Congrats!

I'm EE. You can't spell beer without "EE" :cheers:

It's the first time I've had to work on exhaust and I'd rather just pay someone than spend a month of what little time I have getting it right.

Roger that, understood.

If I can just have someone remove the bolts and bolt in the new y pipe and a muffler myself I'd rather do that.

Keep in mind... that 1999 Y-pipe will work just fine. Hook up the front O2 sensors, that's mandatory to make the engine run properly as you likely know. You might ("might") be able to install another O2 sensor in the rear, so there are then two in the rear, and connect each to the existing O2 wiring. Thus, the O2 sensor expectations of the ECU's factory tune will be satisfied. I'll assume it'll also yield "no SES light".

You also might ("might") be able to connect the single rear O2 sensor's signal line to BOTH existing ECU connectors. Didja get that? The rear O2 sensor(s) aren't critical to the engine function, so if you can spoof the necessary signals for the two rear O2 circuits, using only one O2 sensor, then you're done.

I hate that there is a regulatory problem too; that's part of why I didn't just 4L80 swap.

I just would like to have everything skookum vs being kluge-fixed as the interior of the car is immaculate and everything else is pretty well done and ready for another 100k-200k miles.

You're preaching to the choir :waytogo:

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where , what do you do with the third O2 sensor , where does the data go? Does the ecm have to notified/ activate a data point ? Added wire data into ecm?
As my 98 Tahoe as two forward and two aft O2 in balanced configuration. It is Calif. Built options.