Bagged and bodied 99 c3500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROYALTYFORGE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s fairly simple. Set the bag mount where you want it. Then make each pivot say 1.5” below the cantilever pivots. Then measure your bar length. You can actually change the pivot locations to get the bag mount to slightly change angle throughout the travel. If you want that lmk I can help with the math.
So would I want the new pivot points directly below center of the existing ones?

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So would I want the new pivot points directly below center of the existing ones?
Yes this would cause the bag mount to stay vertical throughout the entire travel. Also the shape of the bar connecting the two pivot points does not matter if u want to make it look cool in some way. It can be curved if you want.

ROYALTYFORGE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes this would cause the bag mount to stay vertical throughout the entire travel. Also the shape of the bar connecting the two pivot points does not matter if u want to make it look cool in some way. It can be curved if you want.
Well I'll try my best to make it cool.

So we thi k this will solve the problem, I'm also wondering if my two short links that connect the cantilever arms to the axle may have something to do with it, or the arms themselves. I know the arms are heavier towards the back so once there is give in the bags there is nothing stopping the pivot on the axle from getting pulled back.

Last edited:

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'll try my best to make it cool.

So we thi k this will solve the problem, I'm also wondering if my two short links that connect the cantilever arms to the axle may have something to do with it, or the arms themselves. I know the arms are heavier towards the back so once there is give in the bags there is nothing stopping the pivot on the axle from getting pulled back.
The front arms connecting the axle shouldn’t have any effect on the bag mounts. The cantilever being heavier in the rear would cause the bag to feel a bit softer. It would be trying to pull the axle up, which is working against the bag. I don’t see it being an issue, it probably won’t even be noticeable. The only issue I do see is since the links connecting the cantilever to the axle are so close together. The rear of the truck will sway a lot without a sway bar. I didn’t know if you plan on running one but I think it will be required.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about this bolt.
You must be registered for see images attach
Loosening that should allow the mount to pivot counter clockwise around it, making it closer to vertical with the bag.
That bolt should not be loosened.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I think your best solution is to put the lower mount for the bag on a rocking plinth.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That bolt should not be loosened.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I think your best solution is to put the lower mount for the bag on a rocking plinth.
I wasn't suggesting that he leave it loose....did you read the rest of what I wrote? Loosening it and cycling the suspension to see if it helped wasn't going to hurt anything.
You owe me 7 minutes of my life back for that video btw...

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't catch that you were recommending it just for a test. Still, the bolt hole in that mount shouldn't have enough play for that to help.

No, I don't owe your time back. That's a very good video for everyone, even if it's just a refresher.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have zero experience building baggers, so take that into account.

I'm just thinking that you need the lower mount on that airbag to be able to tilt in parallel with that arm. The way that arm folds the top of the bag over worries me.

Honestly, all the geometry of that setup worries me. The downlinks from those arms down to the axle start perpendicular, but quickly fold under, robbing a lot of your height gain. Is there a legit reason for this, or is it just a "work in progress" problem?