'94 c3500 Farm Truck w/ Frankenstein 454 - Project Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a thought, I wonder if the PO left the diesel pump in the tank and since it's higher pressure, it's masking a rich carb situation when really it's just a fire-hose of too much fuel? I'm unsure how the fuel system works with an auxiliary tank in the bed. It was off one of their wrecked hot rods, akin to a shiner tank. It may be jerry rigged to run on just the bed tank and have it's own pump.

Assuming hacky work, could a gas truck run with a diesel pump enough that the PO could use it around the farm? Even if it does have a swapped pump, the old gas/low gas, and carb tune still need to be looked at. It will idle and run, but backfires, cuts out under load, and eventually floods and turns off. Only floods under load though.

The truck has the auxiliary tank sitting right above the pump location, so this area is cut like this post here. Either way, it'll make accessing this area a cinch.

Truck got transported to the new shop today and has a slot for next week, so I'll know more details then.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on how much pressure the diesel pump makes and how you have the fuel to the carb set up. If the diesel pump is just a lift pump and produces around the same pressure as the gas pump, then it would run just fine. If it's way more pressure, but you have a return-style fuel setup with a 7psi regulator, it'll run fine.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The first step would be checking the fuel pressure under load. As Erik said you will need a fuel return back to the tank. The next would be using a known to be good carb. I suggest using these guys, each carb is specked for your combo:

Or

Reaction score
Just heard back from the shop on the truck. It's got issues, but it’s not unsolvable. Looking at a fan shroud, water pump, exhaust leak, oil leak, and valve adjustment. Not gonna be too much in parts, but a decent amount of labour. The carb is in good shape and it's actually like a $1k carb that the owner has on his street truck. Brand still unknown, didn’t go over it on the phone.

It runs, but I think the valve issue is what's gumming up the fuel delivery.

I’ll send the parts list once they get it over here on Monday. I’ll need to add valve adjustments to my skill set. Learning about solid vs hydraulic lifters as well.

Last edited: