AC overhaul - Compressor upgrade? Condensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
This thread has gotten off track a bit. Do the later condensers not have provision for a high pressure switch?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been testing with higher capacity compressor and it did show an improvement. Going from large serpentine condenser to the smaller (only one I could locate after multiple returns) parallel flow was almost of no difference. I also have issue with underhood heat and at speed get hot air pushed from engine that raises vent temp about 3* C. 1.5k to 2k rpm city driving around 35 -45 mph currently best vent temp, while at highway speed in same rpm range vent temps go up and have direct corelation with engine temperature.
You must be registered for see images attach
@yevgenievich Have you blocked the coolant flow to the heater core(s) off yet? I recently found a company making 4 port ball valves to maintain the coolant bypass function and allow for a positive shut-off of coolant to the heater core. Coolant flow through the heater core(s) could explain this issue as more heat would circulate through the core(s) at higher engine rpm and higher coolant temps. I say core(s) because I forget if you have a truck or suburban.

Reaction score
I have been testing with higher capacity compressor and it did show an improvement. Going from large serpentine condenser to the smaller (only one I could locate after multiple returns) parallel flow was almost of no difference. I also have issue with underhood heat and at speed get hot air pushed from engine that raises vent temp about 3* C. 1.5k to 2k rpm city driving around 35 -45 mph currently best vent temp, while at highway speed in same rpm range vent temps go up and have direct corelation with engine temperature.
You must be registered for see images attach

That's good to hear you are seeing improvement with the higher capacity Compressor. Looks like you have the smaller pulley version. How much smaller of a serpentine belt did you have to go with? Or did your Vehicle originally have a smaller pulley?
Too bad the Parallel condensor didn't provide improved cooling. The are more effiecent, so they make them smaller. It would be nice to get a thick parallel condensor. Was the smaller prallel condensor you installed same height width dimesnions and just thinner? I looked into running two condensers in series and it sounded a little too complicated in terms of design and choosing correct size condensors, etc.

I am waiting on a condensor at the moment. I have two coming. One a stock size parallel and one the late 2021 Tahoe subcooler one which will require adapting.

I have both Four seasons compressors on hand the large and small pulley. I dont think I will have any problem running the smaller pulley given that the 6.5 diesel redlines at 3,500 rpm.

Last edited:
Reaction score
While I have been waiting on parts I have been doing a little research on Refrigerants. Right now I have R134 in the system with PAG46 oil. I am curious about running r12 as there is an old shop an hour from me that has stockpiles of it. Probably not ready to go that deep yeton this effort, but I am considering flushing components of the PAG46 and adding Ester Oil this go around just so I have the option of switching to r12 more asily if this system with r134 still dissapoints. Would converting fittings be necessary? Do these H6 compressors perform well with r12?

The other option I came across is this R152a aka Electronics Duster in a can (R152A; diflouroethane CAC 75-37-6). I have been seriously considering it but don't have the confidence to take the plunge as not a lot of real world feedback on running this refrigerant out there.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While I have been waiting on parts I have been doing a little research on Refrigerants. Right now I have R134 in the system with PAG46 oil. I am curious about running r12 as there is an old shp an hour from me that has stockpiles of it. Probably not ready to go that deep yeton this effort, but I am considering flushing components of the PAG46 and adding Ester Oil this go around just so I have the option of switching to r12 more asily if this system with r134 still dissapoints. Would converting fittings be necessary? Do these H6 compressors perform well with r12?

The other option I came across is this R152a aka Electronics Duster in a can (R152A; diflouroethane CAC 75-37-6). I have been seriously considering it but don't have the confidence to take the plunge as not a lot of real world feedback on running this refrigerant out there.
R152A for years here in my own stuff.

Reaction score
R152A for years here in my own stuff.
Well then maybe I will just give that R152A a try.
I cant remember if I already mentioned but the OSC 4721 that showed up was also a serpentine Condenser. I did get a packagedelivered last night of a Parallel Flow Condenser that appears to be of pretty good quality.

BOXI A/C Air Conditioning Condenser Assembly Fits for Chevrolet/for GMC (Check Product Description To Ensure Proper Fit; Replaces 52480034)​

Manufacturer Part Number‎BX00800004-1

chevman_88

Reaction score
This was at Idle with ac max (manual controls) fans on high. I dont have 2,000 rpm reading at the moment. I know, the cheap harbor freight gauges aren't the best. This was after adding 12oz after replacing low side scrader valve (found to leak after second evacuation, refill). Used nifty tool to replace without having to evacuate system again.

I have a relatively new Hayden fan clutch. It's for a duramax application. A lot of 6.5 guys run them as an upgrade. I recently tweaked the bimetal spring and it seems to come on a touch sooner now.
I do have the electric fan coming in recent parts order. Any suggestions on wiring that in would be appreciated.

I think I will pull the trigger on the small pulley 210cc four seasons p/n 88947
I see they require pag46, so looks like I will be flushing all the parts of 150 if I swap a 210cc compressor in.
Looking at those pressures I think I'm in the same boat. Sanden 4440 style compressor, but I do have a parallel flow condenser. Also I am only at 4/5.5 cans of refrigerant. Any thoughts?

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@yevgenievich Have you blocked the coolant flow to the heater core(s) off yet? I recently found a company making 4 port ball valves to maintain the coolant bypass function and allow for a positive shut-off of coolant to the heater core. Coolant flow through the heater core(s) could explain this issue as more heat would circulate through the core(s) at higher engine rpm and higher coolant temps. I say core(s) because I forget if you have a truck or suburban.
I have the factory coolant diverter valve that seem to be working. My issue comes in specifically at speed. 2krpm in the city is around 4* C colder than 2k rpm on the highway. I get instant couple of degrees of temp drop idling slowing down to less than 45mph off the highway exit.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's good to hear you are seeing improvement with the higher capacity Compressor. Looks like you have the smaller pulley version. How much smaller of a serpentine belt did you have to go with? Or did your Vehicle originally have a smaller pulley?
Too bad the Parallel condensor didn't provide improved cooling. The are more effiecent, so they make them smaller. It would be nice to get a thick parallel condensor. Was the smaller prallel condensor you installed same height width dimesnions and just thinner? I looked into running two condensers in series and it sounded a little too complicated in terms of design and choosing correct size condensors, etc.

I am waiting on a condensor at the moment. I have two coming. One a stock size parallel and one the late 2021 Tahoe subcooler one which will require adapting.

I have both Four seasons compressors on hand the large and small pulley. I dont think I will have any problem running the smaller pulley given that the 6.5 diesel redlines at 3,500 rpm.
I did have to put a stock belt back on. Prior I was running slightly longer belt due to a tall deck block spacing everything farther.