96 chevy k1500 350 egr delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
knew some one with a 96 trooper it had bolt shoved inside the egr valve so it could not open never set the check engine light off now when the cats got removed and he did not want to replace them that did set the check engine light off

qulino

Reaction score
If you are set on the EGR deleting on your '96 K1500, it is important to consider tuning afterward to avoid check engine lights and potential lean conditions. As others mentioned, Jet's Dynamic Spectrum Tuner or a mail-order tune can help bypass the EGR function on your truck’s specific PCM. Another route could be performing the 0411 PCM swap, which opens up more tuning options like HP Tuners or EFI Live. Making sure the EGR is properly tuned out is key to avoiding drivability issues, so if you go the delete route, don’t skip on the tune.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are set on the EGR deleting on your '96 K1500, it is important to consider tuning afterward to avoid check engine lights and potential lean conditions. As others mentioned, Jet's Dynamic Spectrum Tuner or a mail-order tune can help bypass the EGR function on your truck’s specific PCM. Another route could be performing the 0411 PCM swap, which opens up more tuning options like HP Tuners or EFI Live. Making sure the EGR is properly tuned out is key to avoiding drivability issues, so if you go the delete route, don’t skip on the tune.
Just P59 swap it. All the L31 P59 tunes were factory EGR deleted by GM. My tunes are based on a 2005 Silverado 3500 L31 350.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just P59 swap it.

^^^ Any other advantages to the P59 swap?

There's plenty of chatter about the 0411 swap.

Are there other swaps to consider?

I've heard you mention something about an ECU from Mexico (or was it just a firmware swap from a MX ECU into a US ECU)?

:think:

(edit) I started searching for "L31 P59" and found some interesting stuff. Will keep reading.

Re EGR delete, AFAIK it's awfully easy to disable it by "tuning" the stock ECU... one parameter change is all it appears to take (that's all I changed anyway... "one and done" as they say).

Last edited:

lbeninger

Reaction score
0411 swap is by far the cheapest and easiest way. I paid $145 for the ecm and running on eBay. I spent a couple hours swapping it over , best upgrade ever.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^ Any other advantages to the P59 swap?

There's plenty of chatter about the 0411 swap.

Are there other swaps to consider?

I've heard you mention something about an ECU from Mexico (or was it just a firmware swap from a MX ECU into a US ECU)?

:think:

(edit) I started searching for "L31 P59" and found some interesting stuff. Will keep reading.

Re EGR delete, AFAIK it's awfully easy to disable it by "tuning" the stock ECU... one parameter change is all it appears to take (that's all I changed anyway... "one and done" as they say).
USA PCM with the Mexican calibration. Used the operating system as a lot of the US stuff so easy to segment swap around what you need to run whatever you want. I have more calibrations for different setups for that 2005 PCM than I do an 0411 as well.

The big advantage is the PCM processor is about 2x faster than the 0411 and GM had 2x the storage capacity to implement more coding to make the engine run even better. That and they had 3 more years worth of tuning on it to make it even more refined.