Waste wages.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scooterwrench, I happen to be in violent agreement with your statement. :0)

I still remember the first night I ever flipped the lid on the air cleaner atop a Quadrajet and went for a drive.
('74 454/Turbo 400 C20 8-lugger Camper Special.) Teenager Road Trip had goosebumps on his arms before the end of
the highway onramp. (Insert the Deep Purple song "Highway Star" being played on a 8-track here. :0)

Here's a photo showing where the source of where that bellowing intake roar originates:
You must be registered for see images attach

(credit: ebay auction for a NOS Quadrajet throttle plate.)

Check out those glorious secondaries. Twin 2 1/4" diameter throttles. Each one is the same diameter as a American billiard ball! (See attached.)

Over time, I've come to realize that my choices in life are driven by the associated sonics much more so than
most of the well-adjusted folks in the audience. :0) So when working on a Bucket List powerplant project,
(assuming all other things being equal) whichever solution is going to bring the most memorable intake tone
is the way that I can't help but choose. Even if it means more fabrication/effort. Because a lot of my touchstone
memories include stuff like an afternoon thunderstorm at the Grand Canyon, the infrasonic rumble while riding in
the Maid of the Mist at the base of Niagara Falls, or the full-throated roar of a WOT Quadrajet on a recently
rebuilt V8 on a perfect summer evening. :waytogo:

Fortunately, given how much hood clearance there is in our GMT400s, we aren't force to run a stock,
low-profile spread-bore intake manifold. So our choices are anything but limited for our engines.
(Endless Q-Jet intake possibilities) BTW, see attached for a couple of modern Q-Jet capable dyno-proven
front runners.

But in order to achieve that complex, layered melody that will bring back the memories of your misspent youth,
be sure to adopt a high performance, high rise dual plane intake, and avoid the sexier looking single plane offerings.
Not just for the better street-rpm performance. But to get that authentic tone. And if you believe this to be self-evident,
then you are done reading this reply.

**** (Optional Reading) ****

But if you are still wondering why I would use sound to eliminate the single-plane intakes from my Bucket List
Quadrajet-fed projet engine? The answer will require a little math that will allow me to translate from motorhead
to audiophile.

Keeping things simple, let's look at the 3000 to 6000 rpm range.
This translates to a 50 to 100 crank revolutions per second.
And since it takes 720° to complete all 4 cycles, we will therefore have an intake stroke every 25 to 50 cycles per second.
(25 to 50 Hz)

If we communicate these intake strokes through a common plenum (either carb single plane or Vortec EFI manifold) then
the intake melody will be based off of these fundamental frequencies. (Note: Similar to the relative smoothness and
higher PRF (Pulse Repetition Frequency) of a single exhaust.)

And if you perch a square-bore Holley 4150 on top of this single plane intake, then the tone will be shifted higher,
partially because of the higher PRF from the single plane, and partially because the throttle bores are smaller,
causing the resonating tone to be at a higher audio frequency.

On the other hand, if you put a Q-Jet on top of a dual plane intake manifold, we now have two individual manifolds,
taking turns every 180° of crank rotation to feed the next cylinder in the firing order. So we end up with (2) intakes
running from 12.5 to 25 Hz, essentially halving the PRF. But there is a chorusing effect, because these intake tracts
alternate every 90° of crank rotation. (Similar to a true dual exhaust behind an engine with a flat-plane crank.)

Believe me, this sonic signature stuff is easier to pick out with the ears as opposed to trying to explain it via typing.
But after years of listening to all manner of intake setups on SBC/BBC engines, there *are* distinct sonic differences
between the main intake combos. In order of increasing sonic excellence for a street machine:

* single plane intake fed by a square bore Holley
* single plane intake fed by a spread bore Q-Jet
* dual plane intake fed by a square bore Holley
* dual plane intake fed by a spread bore Q-Jet (lid flipped)
* IR (Individual Runner)
* dual plane intake fed by a Q-Jet drawing cold air from any of the cowl induction examples above. (!)

So yeah, I agree that the Q-Jet should be classified as a musical instrument.
That dual plane air gap is the manifold that's on my 355. I love it,it makes gobs of torque. The TB I've got is a 454 unit off an '87 1 ton and I got it with the factory spreadbore adapter GM used back then,the one that had water run through it. I had a crazy wild idea of running my A/C low line through it and really cool the inlet air,,,,,,,,,,,probably won't!!! I'm gonna give the TBI a whirl being I've spent plenty of money on the conversion but if I get too aggravated that $hits going up for sale and my good ol trusty Q-jet bull horn's going back on it. Only downside to the Q-jet is ethanol,it don't like it. Also there are no primary airhorns on my Q-jets so no choke or cold fast idle and I'm getting too old and lazy to sit there and tickle the accelerator pump for 30sec before I can drop it in gear.
Now y'all see my dilemma.
TBI that has to be tuned and relies on electronic gizmos to work but plays well with modern fuel or reliable Q-jet that I have a coffee can full of jets and needles for but is temperamental with modern fuel.

I opened the hood this morning and there is a perfect spot right behind the center of the engine in the vent cowl that's just begging to have a breather inlet plumbed to it.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That dual plane air gap is the manifold that's on my 355. I love it,it makes gobs of torque. The TB I've got is a 454 unit off an '87 1 ton and I got it with the factory spreadbore adapter GM used back then,the one that had water run through it.

That air gap intake would continue the cool air induction all the way through from
the cowl plenum at the base of the windshield all the way to the intake ports. Maybe a
seasonal issue for our Canadian neighbors to the north, but down in FL this would be
good way more often than bad? (Thinking not having the knock sensors pulling timing when
engine bay heated hot air is being ingested?)

I'm gonna give the TBI a whirl being I've spent plenty of money on the conversion but if I get too aggravated that $hits going up for sale and my good ol trusty Q-jet bull horn's going back on it. Only downside to the Q-jet is ethanol,it don't like it. Also there are no primary airhorns on my Q-jets so no choke or cold fast idle and I'm getting too old and lazy to sit there and tickle the accelerator pump for 30sec before I can drop it in gear.
Now y'all see my dilemma.

I have a couple of thoughts surrounding your Q-Jet dilemma.

1) Consider replacing your modified Q-Jet air horn with an original that still has the choke plate.
I found one for the original design (ie: no high speed fuel pullover or CCC) with the desirable
Teflon coated shaft for $20 on ebay. Here's the screen grab:

Assuming you can lay hands on the rest of the choke bits (assuming 4MV w/divorced coil) you would be
back in business. Other potential fixes would be to take advantage of the 4MC (integral coil with circular cover)
choke setup & convert it over to electric. (Have done this in the past.) There are even those who get
the 4MC design & convert it over to full manual choke.

TBI that has to be tuned and relies on electronic gizmos to work but plays well with modern fuel or reliable Q-jet that I have a coffee can full of jets and needles for but is temperamental with modern fuel.

2) Cliff Ruggles & others offer Q-Jet rebuild kits with high flow Viton needle & seat assemblies. (Viton Q-Jet rebuild kits)
And supposedly a lifetime guarantee on the accelerator pump seal.

Note: Viton is specifically ethanol-resistant:

(credit: J-Flex 600 chemical Viton compatibility chart .pdf file)

Back when I was helping my buddies with their (new to them) aged muscle cars, I did my fair share of
removing street-unfriendly Holley 'upgrades' and reverting back to Q-Jets. And the better I made the
choke system work for their specific setup...the happier they were. Got a lot of practice in this area.
(That and tuning the secondary air valve springs & choke pull-off diaphragms for quickest possible no-bog transitions.)

Again, not trying to fan the carburetor embers, but then again if your primary plan is to TBI with
reverting to a carb as a backup strategy, well we might as well make it as driver-friendly and
modern gas robust as possible. :0)

...But I digress.

What I really wanted to throw out there was how could I combine the efficiency of a modern EFI
setup with the melodic tone of the classic Q-Jet? The dirty little secret about carbs is that by
necessity we end up with a wet (fuel) intake. And depending on stuff like droplet size, velocity,
and just how twisted is the path between carb venturi and each individual intake port, there can be
significant variations in the A/F ratios between the 8 individual cylinders. Here's a dyno chart from a
fully instrumented BBC engine run I found interesting. Note the ~10:1 to ~15:1 variations across
the 8 cylinders during the dyno run:

(Link: Measured cylinder to cylinder A/F variations on carb intake)

I cut my teeth on carbs, and have sung the venturi praises, but by the same token I don't want to
go back to trying so hard to get all 8 plugs to color the same, while simultaneously forever
chasing down which cylinder is the first to start knocking at full throttle when the others are just
pinging at part throttle, etc. (Back in the day what I wouldn't have given for knock sensors and all plugs
coloring the same? You know, the stuff we take for granted these days. :0)

I want my EFI cake while simultaneously enjoying all that the Q-Jet brought to the driving experience.
So what if I used the Q-Jet purely as my throttle body, and modded my now 'dry' intake
so that I could deliver the fuel precisely, SFI style?

(Please overlook this isn't a SBC/BBC specific intake. Best photo I could find of a modded carb intake.)

(credit: grassrootsmotorsports.com LINK)

This might neatly side-step all your Q-Jet implementation issues. Run the Q-Jet on your shelf, since it's
not metering the fuel cold or hot, the whole choke thing is a don't care. A 0411 setup can no doubt
get the cold start thing nailed. You would need to implement a TP sensor, and there must be a magic
table somewhere where the throttle angle to airflow can be mapped to accommodate the differences in
CFM/degree for the primaries vs the CFM/degree for when the secondaries join in the fun?

Don't even know if the above is possible or reasonable...but I've been thinking about something like this for the
chore truck. I'd truly enjoy a big block bellow now & again at the far end of the gas pedal travel.

Especially if I've done the right thing and have the engine breathing from the area just underneath the windshield.

I opened the hood this morning and there is a perfect spot right behind the center of the engine in the vent cowl that's just begging to have a breather inlet plumbed to it.

Good thing we aren't neighbors. I can almost hear the triple-dog dare from here. :)

Thanks for your time & attention to this out of the way area of the old truck hobby.

Attachments

• 4 BBC intakes side by side -- Big-Inch, Big-Power, Big-Block Manifold Shootout—Engine Masters ...jpg
    4 BBC intakes side by side -- Big-Inch, Big-Power, Big-Block Manifold Shootout—Engine Masters ...jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is all good stuff but I think we've crashed this mans party long enough. We can pick this up on my ol Smoky thread.

Sincere apologies to @wasted wages -- I mistakenly thought that this was Scooterwrench's thread. (!)

Going back to his last post (LINK) I'm hoping that this slight derailment at least gave him some food for thought about his upgrade.
:0)

Last edited:

wasted wages

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sincere apologies to @wasted wages -- I mistakenly thought that this was Scooterwrench's thread. (!)

Going back to his last post (LINK) I'm hoping that this slight derailment at least gave him some food for thought about his upgrade.
:0)
You guys aren't bothering me any. Im currently waiting on parts to show up.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The factory sensor can be used to run the fuel pump or it can be wired to switch the electric choke on when the oil pressure comes up. GM used that configuration on Q-jets back in the 80's. Did you plumb that crankcase breather hose into a vacuum port on the back of the carb?

wasted wages

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The factory sensor can be used to run the fuel pump or it can be wired to switch the electric choke on when the oil pressure comes up. GM used that configuration on Q-jets back in the 80's. Did you plumb that crankcase breather hose into a vacuum port on the back of the carb?
It goes to the air cleaner base.

wasted wages

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have read conflicting answers so I figured I would ask here. I have a th400 in this truck so I need manifold vacuum to the modulator. Do any of the ports on the tbi give manifold vacuum if not would I be ok tying the modulator into the booster line? I haven't messed with a tbi unit in years so my memory is a bit foggy

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The FSM will tell you. They put the tH400 in heavier models and the 700R4 in the lighter ones.

www.gmt400.com/threads/88-98-service-manuals.43575/