Waste wages.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wasted wages

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My steel plate should be in today so hopefully I'll be able to run the truck for more than 10 minutes. My tires also show out for delivery I also finally got around to putting my mini torque starter on yesterday.

wasted wages

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well ive ran the truck tonight and I still have some issues to work out. At the moment it only revs to 3000 rpm and I had a huge fireball out of the tbi so I've got to figure that out. Tires will hopefully be here tomorrow. I haven't messed with tbi in years so this will be a learning curve.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Well ive ran the truck tonight and I still have some issues to work out. At the moment it only revs to 3000 rpm and I had a huge fireball out of the tbi so I've got to figure that out. Tires will hopefully be here tomorrow. I haven't messed with tbi in years so this will be a learning curve.
If it's backfiring that bad, sounds like the timing is way off.... good luck and let us know when you discover what the problem is.

wasted wages

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's backfiring that bad, sounds like the timing is way off.... good luck and let us know when you discover what the problem is.
That's what I was thinking but with the timing port disconnected it still shows zero where I set it with it plugged in it's adjusting timing. How much it's adjusting I'm not sure I haven't put a dial back light on it yet all I have is a standard light.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking but with the timing port disconnected it still shows zero where I set it with it plugged in it's adjusting timing. How much it's adjusting I'm not sure I haven't put a dial back light on it yet all I have is a standard light.
Check the damper/balancer whatever you want to call it and confirm it hasn't slipped on the rubber vs the tab on timing cover and #1 at TDC. Trust but verify the marks are true telling you that the base timing is zero.

wasted wages

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the damper/balancer whatever you want to call it and confirm it hasn't slipped on the rubber vs the tab on timing cover and #1 at TDC. Trust but verify the marks are true telling you that the base timing is zero.
I wouldn't think it would have slipped. I built the engine 600 ish miles ago and I used a new balancer.

wasted wages

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
3 out of 4 tires showed up. Of coarse FedEx delivered one to the wrong house in Whitehouse TN how there in business still I don't know. FedEx basically said tough luck since someone signed for it even though it wasn't me. Fortunately the seller will be sending me another tire.

wasted wages

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 4th tire showed up today so I'm ready to take them to the shop next week. I have a throttle body base coming as well as mine has developed a bad vacuum leak around the throttle shaft. I'm sure it had a minor vacuum leak that caused my initial running issues but it has gotten to the point now that it screams like a banshy.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your money on a dial back timing light. I've bought both inexpensive(cheap)and expensive(still cheap) timing lights. They all lie!!!!! Now I rotate the engine counter clockwise until the timing mark on the balancer lines up with the 10deg. mark on the pointer then scribe or paint a mark on the balance at the zero mark on the pointer. Now your balancer has a 10deg. mark. Rotate the balancer counter clockwise until that 10deg mark you made lines up with the 10deg. mark on the pointer and make another mark on the balancer. That's your 20deg. mark on the balancer. Keep doing that until you have as many 10deg increments as you want. 50deg. should be all you'll ever need. When you read it lets say your 20deg. mark is 8deg. advanced of 0, you are reading 28deg. of advance. They sell timing tapes to apply to your balancer but I've never used them. Not sure how accurate they are or how well they'll stay on there. The only other option is to buy a balancer with degree marks all the way around(like FluidDampers)but they are pricey and all those other marks are not necessary unless your doing something exotic with the engine.