Crate engine, lots of metal shavings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chapmangd

Reaction score
I’ll have to check the invoice, but I don’t believe it was. Considering I had to tell them to put a new radiator and transmission cooler in (I did a tranny swap too) to avoid contamination of the new system, I don’t think they did. Any other parts that engine oul passes through that I can see if they changed?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if whoever is backing up the warranty has a list of requirements that you must
follow (like *they* have to replace the oil, or have the oil changes documented by a trusted service
provider) ...then please do so.
No. Read up on the Magnusson-Moss warranty act. You do need to perform maintenance and document it, but they can't demand that you pay their preferred people to do it.

But the downside is that if something goes wrong they'll fight you until you lawyer up.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yikes, I’d be concerned too. Does the oil pan bolt have a magnet all gunked up too? The size and quantity of particles makes me worry about scoring engine parts and clogging the oil pump screen. Hopefully the shop will offer some flushing options rather than trying to just send you back on the road.

Did you open up the filter and see more of the same? I’m concerned that since you have oil pressure-a-plenty now the oil filter bypass is open and just recirculating that metallic junk. Maybe rig up an aux filter until that crap is gone and some big magnets on the pan to try to take that out of circulation.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen enough; there's metal o' plenty that a fatal failure has occurred. I suppose you'll want recompense from gM --- If So --- I wouldn't do a darn thing to the truck unless & until my local gM dealership has had a few business days to look it over. In the meantime, suggest have a serious talk w/ Your attorney ASAP. Compile complete & accurate records & receipts; no matter how insignificant they may seem. Until you've spoken w/ counsel, don't share anything w/ responsible parties except the dying truck itself. Careful what ya say/show here as well !

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man, this sounds so familiar. A good friend of mine bought his first new car, a 1977 Thunderbird, and didn't make it home 90 miles before dash lights came on. He shut it down and called the dealer who picked it up. They found it had metal shavings in it. They put in a new long block. It only lasted a couple of weeks and did the same thing. I'm guessing it was a 302 engine. It's been a long time so.. Long story short, they put a 3rd engine in that brand new car which they opened up to examine before installing. It was clean. Now what are the odds of getting a brand new car with a bad engine then a bad replacement engine some months later with the same problem? If I didn't know the guy personally I'd find it hard to believe but he would not make this up.

chapmangd

Reaction score
I've seen enough; there's metal o' plenty that a fatal failure has occurred. I suppose you'll want recompense from gM --- If So --- I wouldn't do a darn thing to the truck unless & until my local gM dealership has had a few business days to look it over. In the meantime, suggest have a serious talk w/ Your attorney ASAP. Compile complete & accurate records & receipts; no matter how insignificant they may seem. Until you've spoken w/ counsel, don't share anything w/ responsible parties except the dying truck itself. Careful what ya say/show here as well !
Yikes, I’d be concerned too. Does the oil pan bolt have a magnet all gunked up too? The size and quantity of particles makes me worry about scoring engine parts and clogging the oil pump screen. Hopefully the shop will offer some flushing options rather than trying to just send you back on the road.

Did you open up the filter and see more of the same? I’m concerned that since you have oil pressure-a-plenty now the oil filter bypass is open and just recirculating that metallic junk. Maybe rig up an aux filter until that crap is gone and some big magnets on the pan to try to take that out of circulation.
No you would think GM would install magnet plugs especially when the customer pays $4k for a new engine. I have not opened the filter yet just incase they want to see it themselves or complain about tampering. Is this bypass you speak of inside the filter?

98_SLE_98

Reaction score
The drain plugs with the magnets that were used for many years changed up to a new part number that does not have the magnet.

Remember. As much as they complain about waste and what not, vehicles are disposable now. They want you to buy a new one every 7-10 years. Good luck having a 2024 model vehicle on the road functioning as it did when new in terms of all the features working in 20 years.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The “break in” and 500 mile oil change in my rebuilt engine looked similar. 1k miles after that there was less metallic. I’m ready for the 3k mile change and I’ll take some pictures to compare but here’s some from my 500 mile change.

You must be registered for see images attach