The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
4" in the front is easy. Spindles & springs. Anything lower than 4" in the rear requires a frame notch. More than 6" in the rear and the notch will have to become a bridge, plus floor mods.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How low can I go with a '94 GMC Suburban 4x2 without major modifications?

Depends on what you consider major.

More than 6" in the rear and the notch will have to become a bridge, plus floor mods.

I had 8" in the rear with a standard c-notch and an un-cut floor. Shackles, hangers and 4" leafs. It rode great and rarely bottomed when empty. I don't know what it is about the setup that worked, but it did.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I have 2 burb's lowered 4-4 they weren't bad at all, but even at 4 I had notch's on the last one, and it didn't bottom out like my first one did.

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn, I was hoping to be able to do something like a 2/4 without a notch. I don't have a welder and wouldn't be able to weld even if I did. If I pay somebody to install a notch it is gonna get pricey fast.

How low can I get the back without a notch? I want the burb to sit level.

Does tire/rim size make a difference?

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What goes into installing a bolt on? I will be doing everything in my single stall garage or the single wide patch of concrete in front of it with hand tools.

I do have friends with shops but they are unreliable at best.

If you guys have any pics of your burbs with info on what drops they have I would appreciate it. I am sure I have the pics but I can't tell what drops they have by looking.

Also, those of you who have static drops, how low did you go before you had to change your driving style? - Scraping on driveways

Last edited:

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
center the notch over your rear axle and mark the frame then cut it set the notch back into place to make sure it fits and mark the holes for the bolts drill them out and bolt it up. What you need to decide before you do it is if only want the for a in drop or flip kit. The flip kit moves the rear end an inch so if you notch now and decide to go with a flip kit instead later your notch wont be centered over the axle.

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Roger.

While the burb will be a summer only truck, I will DD it from snow melt to first snow, so I need to keep the drive-abliity. I want to lower it, but not to the point where I am tearing the valence up on driveways. The wisconsin winters do a number on our roads and there are a lot of steep driveways.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tire size you decide to run will pretty much dictate how low you need to go. IMO 15" wheels dont look that great with 4/6. 17-18"+ look great-again, IMO. I personally will always advise someone to go with a flip on the rear-it doesnt change your ride or your towing capacity. Also, if you go with a shackle/hanger kit now, and later decide that you really did want that extra 2" for looks and handling it is an absolute PITA to get that extra 2".