88 c1500 gmc lowering questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Unactive1

Reaction score
It would depending on a few things.
Right bolt pattern? Should be 5x5
Right load rating for a 4000+lb truck?
Backspacing and offset if any.
I run 17x8's, with 235/65/17's. 4.8" of BS.

If that car is near you, pop a wheel off and try it on your truck. Take some measurements and see how much if any it sticks out of the fender, or interfering with suspension parts.
Lug patterns the same for sure. That car weighs more than that truck im sure LoL engine alone in that tank is over 800lbs. 5200lb car. Only thing would be the BS. That car has old tires that wont hold air at moment. I'll get it lowered first. Then drive to Summit Racing for new wheels. Love living 20 mins away from them. Plan is for now order roll pan and start the "Slam Fund" to save for 4/6 kit and wheels and tires. Do it all at once. Had enough to slam it now but have had problems from truck sitting up. Bad hoses, heater core busted, new bad alternator fried crap, bad starter, tail light harness issues, had to go behind horrible mechanic that worked on it before i owned it and left numerous bolts loose on accessory brackets to block. Same dummy mechanic dropped new alt so it destroyed belts but got the air workin!! LoL

Unactive1

Reaction score
The wheels on that car are gonna be 5x4.75 bolt pattern, won't fit.

But it looks like you're starting to get the hang of the topic, so that's great!

If you're still set on doing the flip kit out back for the 6" drop, a 4" front drop is the usual setup - it looks and works well even during daily driving and still possible to use the truck for basic truck stuff.

As mentioned you'll need different shocks as the stockers will be too long. A full kit will include appropriately sized and valved shocks for the drop. Rear shock extender brackets may also be included with good kits to help correct the angle, as dropping the rear puts them at an extreme angle which makes them less effective.

Richard
you're right on lug pattern. I remember now. Been 12-13 yrs since i got those wheels.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya, don't rush in. Research, ask questions, ask more questions and do more research!
How is the rest of your front end? Do you need new ball joints? How are the control arm bushings?
Maybe best if they are all in need of replacing, do that at the same time.
It's a ***** having to pull all your work apart later to deal with those issues.

Unactive1

Reaction score
Ya, don't rush in. Research, ask questions, ask more questions and do more research!
How is the rest of your front end? Do you need new ball joints? How are the control arm bushings?
Maybe best if they are all in need of replacing, do that at the same time.
It's a ***** having to pull all your work apart later to deal with those issues.
I will replace all of that with urethane bushings, new all of it. Over 300k miles on truck. No clue if they have ever been replaced.

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was planning on a 2" in front with spindles and 6" rear. Guess i will be getting my brother to help with the notching here down the road. Will oem style shocks still be ok to run with this setup? The wheels i didnt choose. They've been on the truck as long as i can remember. Was my grand fathers truck. I would rather have 17" wheels tbh but runnin what i got. Thank ya'll for the assistance. Like to have homework done so the job goes smoother and learn do's and don'ts so im not wasting money.
You don't want to end up like this..

Attachments

• 1713453858714.png
    1713453858714.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 8