Lowering 4WD Basics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That looks great
Thanks it took forever to find a 5 speed manual 88-94 4x4 ext cab short box. This one was in rougher condition than I would have liked so I’m currently swapping a rust free cab on and finding another dent free box. I sold off the TBI engine and I’m swapping in a 70s 4 bolt main SBC with vortec heads and a single turbocharger. Should be fun!

Attachments

• IMG_7182.jpeg
    IMG_7182.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 7

Whitsican

Reaction score
Have you looked into dropped spindles? That would give you 2 or 3 inches then use the torsion keys to finish the front drop. Dropped hangers and shackles in the rear or lowered leaf springs are available. Of course a considerably reduced tire diameter will get you a couple of inches too.
I’m looking to keep the fat 33”. I think my best bet would be lowering keys, shackles and leaf spring hangers.

Reaction score
I've got a 92 2 door Yukon 4x4. Currently stock height but debating going to a smaller tire and lowering.
This is my 98 4x4 that I lowered about 3 inches in the rear with Beltech shackle, removed overload spring. lowered front to almost level by backing off the adjuster key until it just cleared the frame. I have 275/55/20 tires on 9 inch rims. Height to top of wheel well is appx 35" front and rear' Still have 3-1/2" of travel in rear to the stock bumpers. Rides much better. I also put 1-1/4" spacers on the rear to get the front and rear spacing relative to the body the same. I think any lower and you're into c-notch territory.

matt87

Reaction score
The one from your profile pic? That looks sharp and that wheel and tire combo is killer.