The Official Vortec 454 Info thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Just reread this entire thread so much good info. After full fuel and ignition tuneup still had some issues so tore off the lower intake. Pics attached. Will be doing oil pressure sensor and valve cover gaskets as well. Was getting misfires at cylinder 1 and 7 and turned out the gasket was warped. Looks to be stock gasket at 207k miles. Any other advice while I'm torn down this far?

Often people think they need to apply a goopy sealer to the lower intake bolts because of coolant seeping through the threads. Resist the urge to do that. These heads have blind holes. They do not go into the water jackets. GM spec is a thread locker. The manual only gives a GM part number, but the Internet says it corresponds to blue loctite.

Bachert24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Often people think they need to apply a goopy sealer to the lower intake bolts because of coolant seeping through the threads. Resist the urge to do that. These heads have blind holes. They do not go into the water jackets. GM spec is a thread locker. The manual only gives a GM part number, but the Internet says it corresponds to blue loctite.
Appreciate the info I did buy blue threadlocker.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The L29 ports are "large oval" at the gasket surface.

Just like the TBI small-block ports, they're heavily restricted by the valve-guide area, and include a swirl-inducing "ski-jump". They do have a nice, modern-looking heart-shaped combustion chamber of about 99--100cc.

The BBC "Vortec" heads have much more in common with the SBC "TBI" heads, than with the SBC "Vortec" heads.

I'm shining a flashlight into the intake port of this L29 head. You can see the ski-jump beside the valve guide. Notice also how blunt the exhaust valve guide boss is.
You must be registered for see images attach