Another 454 Vortec Build Thread - Documenting, Q&A, Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bachert24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the drive gear on the distributor.

How about the oil pressure sensor? It's hard to get to on an assembled engine, so I'd guess it's easier now. It's on a ledge above the bellhousing, on the block. You'll want to verify the number of pins before ordering.

You might want to take a look at your plug wire holders since they attach at the valve cover bolts.

Heater hose connector? The quick connects to bad. The Dorman replacement is supposed to be better than the OEM part, but I switched to a hose barb.

Clean and regrease the icm with the appropriate heat sink compound?

New pcv grommet? They won't hold the valve well after awhile even if they're not falling apart.
Excellent list, appreciate you sir. The ICM is on the bracket with the coil correct? When I replaced the coil I did not put compound on it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Excellent list, appreciate you sir. The ICM is on the bracket with the coil correct? When I replaced the coil I did not put compound on it.

Yes, the ICM is on the coil bracket. There should be a heatsink too. Usually new ICMs come with a little packet of goop. I believe it's a silicone based product. Make sure you use a heat sink compound, and not silicone dielectric grease, Though. You might be able to buy a packet of the stuff at Orielly's.

Bachert24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a lot of work done today. I noticed like 4 of my rockers seemed loose but I assume that's because those valves are open right? Also distributor didn't seem to drop into the right spot, but the only way it would fully seat is where I put it. I assume that has to be the right spot. Also did not do the oil sender because I can't find a big enough socket. Upper intake is still off so will try again soon.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need the special oil pressure sending unit socket. You'll never get it out any other way with the engine in the vehicle. Most auto parts stores rent them or you can buy one. They're not that expensive. If it's not leaking and is reading correctly I would not replace it.

Bachert24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to have some actual updates not involving questions here's my new headlights and taillights. Also have found the missing inserts on the hood.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20240914_194903.jpg
    20240914_194903.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240914_194930.jpg
    20240914_194930.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240914_194949.jpg
    20240914_194949.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 6

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Got a lot of work done today. I noticed like 4 of my rockers seemed loose but I assume that's because those valves are open right? Also distributor didn't seem to drop into the right spot, but the only way it would fully seat is where I put it. I assume that has to be the right spot.

The right spot is where you get +/- 2 degrees of offset on the scanner. In order for it to drop in fully it must line up with the cam gear and oil pump driveshaft. Sometimes this involves turning the engine over with a wrench.

Bachert24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The right spot is where you get +/- 2 degrees of offset on the scanner. In order for it to drop in fully it must line up with the cam gear and oil pump driveshaft. Sometimes this involves turning the engine over with a wrench.
Thanks. If I haven't moved anything then it can only drop in fully in 2 positions correct? So unless I rotate 180 degrees i should be close. Once I get the upper intake on ill check with scanner assuming it isn't so far off that it won't run of course

Bachert24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And another dumb question but can anyone confirm my grille is correct for a 98? The corner lights that came with the headlights do not fit correctly

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And another dumb question but can anyone confirm my grille is correct for a 98? The corner lights that came with the headlights do not fit correctly

Hard to tell from your pictures, but they might be GMC corners. '94+ Chevy and GMC corner markers are slightly different and will not interchange properly.

Your grille is correct for a '98 Chevy.

Bachert24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hard to tell from your pictures, but they might be GMC corners. '94+ Chevy and GMC corner markers are slightly different and will not interchange properly.

Your grille is correct for a '98 Chevy.
Good to know ill have to let the Amazon seller know they are incorrect.