Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Props to you for fixing that thing right and proper!

I often think of myself as fearless - but the prospect of the 397 different fasteners, connectors, interconnections, wires, hoses, and fragile plastic tabs - well that's a weekend campaign I've not yet developed the courage to tackle.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I often think of myself as fearless - but the prospect of the 397 different fasteners, connectors, interconnections, wires, hoses, and fragile plastic tabs - well that's a weekend campaign I've not yet developed the courage to tackle.
X2- I certainly don’t need to do this, but I certainly can respect the endeavor.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Mine are broken too. I just set them down in there and unless I really crank the volume they don't rattle.
Devcon Plastic Weld 2-part does a pretty good job of holding the clips on once the original plastic welds break. Last time I tried some JB Kwik because I had it out for another project, and it didn't hold well at all.

X2- I certainly don’t need to do this, but I certainly can respect the endeavor.
It's definitely not a fun job, but I've been there before - it was just quite a few years ago so I had to re-learn a few things along the way. With any luck this A/C will keep working (I'm always suspicious of new parts quality but it is what it is) and I won't have to go back in there for many, many years. The dash needed replacement anyway because it was literally going to pieces. It was one of the absolute worst dashboards I have ever seen in these trucks. The top was brittle and shattered if you touched it, and that extended down to about the first few inches into the middle. The bottom area was surprisingly sturdy when I went to chuck it in the trash.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about some new armrests. :D
Oh forget that, for some reason I was thinking your interior is burgundy.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Reaction score
Definitely worthwhile, knowing you’ve gone through it, it’s clean and a/c blowing out at 40°.
Man, I gotta tell you. Been in the '93 the past several days since the SS needs alignment (booked for tomorrow) and having this A/C is such a blessing. It's torturously hot and humid here.

And besides that, the dually is actually getting roughly 10+ MPG. Topped it off a few days ago, have run exactly 160 miles since (w/fairly accurate speedo/odo), topped it off this morning - 15.8 gallons. While 10+ isn't amazing, it's better than I thought it was doing, and that's mashing on it 75-80 on the freeway with the A/C going.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit I think I forgot to do the spark plugs so it's still the same choked-out ones from when I bought it over a year ago with the bad CTS. Seems like when I found it had one broken spark plug wire, I replaced the wires, pulled the one fouled plug and cleaned it, put it back in to ensure it was hitting on all eight - and left the new plugs in their boxes on the shelf! :oops:

S'ok.. not like I was "finished" working on it, by a country mile!

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I gotta tell you. Been in the '93 the past several days since the SS needs alignment (booked for tomorrow) and having this A/C is such a blessing. It's torturously hot and humid here.

And besides that, the dually is actually getting roughly 10+ MPG. Topped it off a few days ago, have run exactly 160 miles since (w/fairly accurate speedo/odo), topped it off this morning - 15.8 gallons. While 10+ isn't amazing, it's better than I thought it was doing, and that's mashing on it 75-80 on the freeway with the A/C going.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit I think I forgot to do the spark plugs so it's still the same choked-out ones from when I bought it over a year ago with the bad CTS. Seems like when I found it had one broken spark plug wire, I replaced the wires, pulled the one fouled plug and cleaned it, put it back in to ensure it was hitting on all eight - and left the new plugs in their boxes on the shelf! :oops:

S'ok.. not like I was "finished" working on it, by a country mile!

Richard
Yes, all that, but just knowing that the cold air is also clean air and not mouse air. What about new o2 sensors to maybe improve mpg?

someotherguy

Reaction score
Yes, all that, but just knowing that the cold air is also clean air and not mouse air. What about new o2 sensors to maybe improve mpg?
Major improvement on mouse butt smell. However, now I smell the transmission gear oil when it gets hot. I suspect there's an insulation pad or something missing..

And yeah, it needs a new O2 sensor, and the harness pigtail (broken housing), and plenty more. Like I said.. nowhere near "finished" - just ordered another small pile of parts for it. Soon to be followed by another order, and another..

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Major improvement on mouse butt smell. However, now I smell the transmission gear oil when it gets hot. I suspect there's an insulation pad or something missing..

And yeah, it needs a new O2 sensor, and the harness pigtail (broken housing), and plenty more. Like I said.. nowhere near "finished" - just ordered another small pile of parts for it. Soon to be followed by another order, and another..

Richard
Are any of them EVER "finished"???