Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Didn't really do pics on this simple stuff. Cleaned up the center A/C vent panel and vents; squeezed a little bit of Nylog Blue into the linkage bar that the slats adjust with and on the bearing surface where the vents swivel up/down, in hopes they'll stay in place instead of flapping closed when the fan runs. Seems to be working, it definitely stiffened them up - just worried in the long term whether it'll melt out under heat, or be a big problem with dust collecting and funking it up. Installed a new driver side vent, too.

Ripped the absolutely rotten fabric off the visors and ordered a new pair of visor covers from Rock. I can't imagine there's many companies making these and the prices are similar so I figured the ones on Rock, LMC, and Classic Parts might be from the same source - and Rock has the better price, esp once you throw a discount code at it. Two week delay on shipping, so once they get here I'll be able to use them as a sample to go pick my headliner fabric.

Oh, and in the heat of the day we took it on a short ride to lunch, local guy has an excellent BBQ trailer and just moved back to our neighborhood. Was nice to sit down under a tree in the breeze, although it was 97F out there!! Great brisket, smokey mac & cheese, potato salad, and some ice cold canned Cokes. :) (I got the brisket sammich, wife got the brisket plate.) So there's pics of that, though, LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Didn't really do pics on this simple stuff. Cleaned up the center A/C vent panel and vents; squeezed a little bit of Nylog Blue into the linkage bar that the slats adjust with and on the bearing surface where the vents swivel up/down, in hopes they'll stay in place instead of flapping closed when the fan runs. Seems to be working, it definitely stiffened them up - just worried in the long term whether it'll melt out under heat, or be a big problem with dust collecting and funking it up. Installed a new driver side vent, too.

Ripped the absolutely rotten fabric off the visors and ordered a new pair of visor covers from Rock. I can't imagine there's many companies making these and the prices are similar so I figured the ones on Rock, LMC, and Classic Parts might be from the same source - and Rock has the better price, esp once you throw a discount code at it. Two week delay on shipping, so once they get here I'll be able to use them as a sample to go pick my headliner fabric.

Oh, and in the heat of the day we took it on a short ride to lunch, local guy has an excellent BBQ trailer and just moved back to our neighborhood. Was nice to sit down under a tree in the breeze, although it was 97F out there!! Great brisket, smokey mac & cheese, potato salad, and some ice cold canned Cokes. :) (I got the brisket sammich, wife got the brisket plate.) So there's pics of that, though, LOL

Richard

That food look great!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need new visors/covers on my 88 too. Show us how it works for you, with pics please.

Nice BBQ from a chicken coop on wheels :biggrin:

someotherguy

Reaction score
No doubt there’s no mirror on passenger side, but do you know if you can just add the original one?
Nope, and for same reason the guys that re-cover them don't put the mirror back on. The visor construction is a piece of MDF attached to the rod, and then over that MDF is a very thin cardboard wrapper of sorts that has the fabric glued to it - but the mirror mounts with small studs on the plastic that poke through the cardboard and are plastic-welded. So, it would seem this is done before the material is stitched up at the edges.

Hey what did that BBQ run ya? $40 a plate like it is in IL?
Not quite, but prices have really gone up, especially on brisket. I don't mind paying as long as it's good, and his food is excellent. Whole meal for both of us was $51.96 and I threw him a $10 tip, so basically $62 total - which is about the same as if we'd gone for sushi instead.

Richard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, and for same reason the guys that re-cover them don't put the mirror back on. The visor construction is a piece of MDF attached to the rod, and then over that MDF is a very thin cardboard wrapper of sorts that has the fabric glued to it - but the mirror mounts with small studs on the plastic that poke through the cardboard and are plastic-welded. So, it would seem this is done before the material is stitched up at the edges.

Not quite, but prices have really gone up, especially on brisket. I don't mind paying as long as it's good, and his food is excellent. Whole meal for both of us was $51.96 and I threw him a $10 tip, so basically $62 total - which is about the same as if we'd gone for sushi instead.

Richard
Dammit man,that's restaurant prices.

someotherguy

Reaction score
Dammit man,that's restaurant prices.
I know it man. But what ya gonna do? Not eat? It tastes amazing. :) Texas BBQ is an art, and this man is a master of it. I'll admit there's a bit of a sticker shock moment when he gives you the total but then you eat it and all that fades away.

Richard