Sway bar link help 94 k3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You are correct - w/6.5 TD. It was only for comparison with the general height profile to show the difference between the trucks, unless you're saying it's night and day to compare?

I'm saying it's not showing anything relevant to the conversation because the trucks aren't the same or even similar, as far as the frame and suspension. One truck is a K3500, the other one is a 3500HD. The bodies are mostly the same, but the frames and suspensions are completely different and share no parts. The 3500HD is closer to a commercial P30 chassis. It uses an I-beam front axle, a Dana 80 rear axle, and the frame is huge.

Given the picture the OP has provided it really looks like the T-bars are just cranked, to me. The control arm angles and CV shaft, look like they're further from horizontal than GM would have put them.

Edit: The heavy box on the back may be contributing to the squat, too.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m aware of the differences, so you’re saying it’s not visually comparable for rake/frame angle due to the chassis and suspension differences hence not relevant or helpful with the problem in this thread. Fair enough.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

It could be lifted, I'm unsure tho only had it q few weeks.
I believe there is a strong possibility the problem is what @454cid pointed out regarding the torsion bars cranked too much. Likely set with the weight of the plow. Since you don’t have a plow you can adjust the torsion bars back to level it out. Worth a try.

chris032188

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did notice that the driver side seemed much harder to jack up then the passenger when doing the upper ball joints. The driver side actually seems to fit much better.

Probably a stupid question but how do I unload the torsion bars? And is there a way to calculate the proper setting. This truck did have a plow on it, it still has mount.

**Edited becaus Google keyboard was making me lie.

Last edited:

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the information you’re looking for is in the service manuals located here
Below is a general video on adjusting torsion bars. Attached is a section from the manual regarding torsion bars. Hope this gets you going.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Attachments

• 94 Chevrolet Light Duty Truck TB.pdf
    382.5 KB · Views: 2

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Def going to look into this, does a normal alignment involve this? Because if so I'm tempted to just pay for that to be done
I expect it's like showing up with a bad idler arm, or a failing ball joint. The shop will take care of it prior to the alignment...at extra cost and taking extra time.

chris032188

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just check one is cranked all the way in (driver side) and passenger is half. Gonna back em both out and adjust from there

chris032188

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe another dumb question, I backed them both out and tightened then just until there's some pressure just to get a baseline, I noticed my driver side is roughly 1 inch higher then passenger. Is this normal? I assumed they would be close to even - 7 and half ish on passenger and 8.5 on driver

chris032188

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like when i cranked the passenger side the drive side went up a bit. Put passenger side bolt about halfway in, and truck is at 8 now and drive is at 9. Kinda stumped , I barely have any tension on the drive side.