Sway bar link help 94 k3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris032188

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
"AWD" and "4WD" have different meanings. GMT400 trucks are 4WD, not AWD.

AWD generally means non-switchable, so all four wheels are engaged all the time, usually at 1:1 ratio--no "low range"; and the transfer case typically has a slipper-clutch system or a fluid coupling so that the vehicle doesn't "jump" when turning, and may not send equal torque to front and rear wheels. The system is engineered to be smooth and unobtrusive. The common application is passenger cars and minivans looking for extra traction on snow/ice, or gravel roads.

4WD tends to be switchable, you have the option of selecting 2WD for most driving situations, and 4WD when extra traction is needed. There is "Full Time 4WD", but that tends to be 4WD without the option for 2WD--two ratios in the transfer case (including "low range" for extra power) and no clutch/fluid coupling so the truck steers harder. Torque is split evenly between front and rear.

Another variation is A4WD, the transfer case has a clutch and uses wheel-speed sensors that automatically engage 4WD when the speed sensors detect wheel slippage.
Gotchya - yea mine is a 4wd

chris032188

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is how it looks off the jack stands, doesn't look right to me... Am I wrong? I'm new to trucks
You must be registered for see images attach

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is how it looks off the jack stands, doesn't look right to me... Am I wrong? I'm new to trucks
Is that a pic with wheels on the ground? The truck is either lifted or in the air.

Oh..jack stands. What’s it look like on the ground?

Did you install the links with the suspension loaded or in the air?

Make sure the front bushings are tightened weighted - truck on the ground.

Last edited:

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
normally the swaybar and links are tightened with the suspension loaded or on the ground. If not it will be difficult to seat the link bushings and the sway-bar bushings. You may want to loosen the bolts and put the truck on the ground then re-tighten. Another thing I see from your last pic with the truck on the ground is your shocks are extended. Are the shocks correct for the truck or has the truck been lifted at some point? Can you post a pic of the truck (side view)?

Attachments

• IMG_8466.jpeg
    IMG_8466.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

chris032188

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

It could be lifted, I'm unsure tho only had it q few weeks.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice Truck! It appears it may of been a plow truck too. I would say there is a good chance the front suspension is beefed up some to accommodate the plow. Best thing to do is post more pictures of the front suspension components (front wide view, springs, control arms etc.,). If there are mods to the height it would explain the extended shock and sway-bar angle. I attached a pic of your truck so you can get some idea of ride height. Keep in mind this truck has a hoist mounted to the back too.

Attachments

• Compare.jpg
    Compare.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 5

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Nice Truck! It appears it may of been a plow truck too. I would say there is a good chance the front suspension is beefed up some to accommodate the plow. Best thing to do is post more pictures of the front suspension components (front wide view, springs, control arms etc.,). If there are mods to the height it would explain the extended shock and sway-bar angle. I attached a pic of your truck so you can get some idea of ride height. Keep in mind this truck has a hoist mounted to the back too.

That yellow truck is a 3500HD, which uses a totally different frame and suspension.

I think the T-bars are just cranked on the OP's truck.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are correct - w/6.5 TD. It was only for comparison with the general height profile to show the difference between the trucks, unless you're saying it's night and day to compare? hard to find a decent pic for that model. Glove box vin/RPO's would help to see if there's anything different about the truck. Good point with the torsion bars. Need more picks..

Last edited: