Putting a Caprice engine (L05-7) into a 92 g30 van (has L80e trans)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK.. step 2 in the troubleshooting process. Check the signal to the injectors with a noid light.
Some of this troubleshooting stuff is hard for me to interpret because I have zero experience, however, the instructions say that the light will show signal and proper voltage.. so it seems that the computer is doing ok on sending the signal.
Now I'm suspect of timing or maybe valve adjustments (because of the backfire, and real fire, at the end)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have the proper oil pressure sender hooked up. If not pump will prime but with no oil pressure it won't run. Safety thing. Kinda sounds like a possibility

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have the proper oil pressure sender hooked up. If not pump will prime but with no oil pressure it won't run. Safety thing. Kinda sounds like a possibility
Pretty sure that I do. Also I do get oil pressure when it is cranking. It shoots up to what looks like about 40 or so.

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is interesting. I am getting oil pressure when it is cranking. It jumps up to around 40 or so. I didn’t think that maybe the fuel pump wasn’t turning on.
Ill get my neighbor to crank it while I lay down back there and see if I can hear the fuel pump turn on.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is interesting. I am getting oil pressure when it is cranking. It jumps up to around 40 or so. I didn’t think that maybe the fuel pump wasn’t turning on.
Ill get my neighbor to crank it while I lay down back there and see if I can hear the fuel pump turn on.
Definitely worth checking

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am getting oil pressure when it is cranking. It jumps up to around 40 or so. I didn’t think that maybe the fuel pump wasn’t turning on.
The Oil Pressure Sender on the driver's side of the hear feeds your gauge. The Oil Pressure Switch is on the China Rail near the distributor. Anyway - the Oil Pressure Switch won't kill the engine unless the fuel pump relay isn't working either.

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is great. Thank you!
I have a spare oil pressure switch that was originally this engine. I switched intakes. I can swap that too just to see.
I also have a newer IAC valve from the same orig. intake that I can swap out.

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was the Throttle body. It was clogged up or something. I put on the one from the donor vechicle and it runs now. Details to follow.

When the engine warmed up all of the oil and grease and whatever burned off. That took a while. Totally smoked the inside of the van with black smoke. Not complaining..

Last edited: