Putting a Caprice engine (L05-7) into a 92 g30 van (has L80e trans)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phantom 309

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
interesting read,. the part that would cause me concern is the 50,000 miles then a lifter problem,. at 50k in my experience the sbc valvetrain is good for a heck of a lot more IF it has good oil pressure,. Lifter noise/failure is the first indication of poor oil feed,.
kudos to you for your perseverance,
Todays flat tappet cams and lifters are really poor quality,. way back when,. gm had some poor quality cams in 305 engines,. a quick easy fix to a worn cam lobe, was to put in a used 350 cam with all new lifters,. the lifters would mate to cam easy.
Best of luck with your project,.

phantom 309

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
set your timing mark at what u want for start, plop the distributor making sure it catches the oil pump, Key on,
put a grounded spark plug in #1 wire
slowly turn the dist back an forth you see the spark jump ( assuming you set dist in with rotor relatively close to #1) trick is to get it to just barely have sparked, tighten down just enough to be able to move it,.
flash it up.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep all electronic although the 8-pin module itself has a backup advance curve in it. With the distributor at TDC with the OEM 369 module atleast the timing bumps from TDC to like 8* @ 1,600 rpm then climbs to about 22* @ about 2,400 rpm.
I have had "discussions" with other folks on another forum, they swore that there was no advance curve built-into the 8-pin module. I had head that there was.

Good to have confirmation. I never got up the ambition to test it for myself.

Delco also offered other marine specific 8-pin modules with varying advance curves for their Voyager line of marine distributors.
So far as I know, there is only one marine module part number. I bought a Voyager conversion kit years ago for my 454 boat--this was not so long after they were discontinued. I had to piece my "kit" together from individual parts. There were various distributors (4, 6, and 8 cylinder) a few coils and spark plug wire sets (to fit the various engines) and some basic wire harnesses to plug into the coils and distributors; and a timing connector that has to be plugged in to set initial timing.

Flat tappet cams are ground from a steel blank and don't receive a hardening process. They harden during break-in, and sometimes they wipe out rather than break in.
I thought flat-tappet cams were flame-hardened on cast iron cores, which also accounted for the black oxide coating on the lobes. Perhaps I'm wrong; or the process has changed over time.

A roller cam may be ground on a cast-iron core (cheap cams) or on a steel core (more expensive, and requires a hardened (melonized) or very soft (brass or plastic) distributor gear. GM roller cams are steel, and thus are used with the melonized gear. A melonized gear can be used on an iron core, too.

There are steel cam cores that have had the rear portion--the gear on the back of the cam, and the rear cam journal--cut off and replaced with a pressed-on iron gear and rear journal. That's what I have on my boat engine. I think Lunati called it the "Everwear" option.

If your rockers are getting hot enough to harden, there's something seriously wrong with your engine. Most of their heat should come from the oil flowing across them.
The pivot balls create a bunch of friction, in the old days before folks figured-out how to make adequate aluminum rockers, the stiff aftermarket springs could cause the pivot balls on stock rockers to turn blue from heat. The wisdom in those days was to put a new rocker ball on an intake rocker, and move a broken-in intake rocker ball to replace the damaged exhaust rocker ball.

Since the rocker ball is the source of the most friction and heat, "roller-tip" rockers are pretty-much useless.

set your timing mark at what u want for start, plop the distributor making sure it catches the oil pump, Key on,
slowly turn the dist back an forth you see the spark jump ( assuming you set dist in with rotor relatively close to #1) trick is to get it to just barely have sparked, tighten down just enough to be able to move it
Works great on point-style ignitions, provide you're turning the distributor housing AGAINST normal distributor shaft rotation when looking for that spark.

Doesn't work so well on HEI or other magnetic-pulse triggered ignitions, because the slow rotation of the distributor by hand may not provide enough of a signal to the module to trigger a reliable spark.

Static-timing a magnetic-pulse distributor is more a matter of aligning the teeth on the timer core (reluctor) with the tooth or teeth of the mag pickup, no need to have the ignition turned on. Done right, and with practice, a person can "feel" the alignment based on the magnetic pull of the two parts--reluctor and pickup coil. Should get the distributor within a few degrees of the target--easily close enough to get the engine running.

Last edited:

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think that I’m about ready to give it a try. I went ahead and installed the accessories, It wasn’t so bad.
All that I can think of that is left to do is put oil in. I filled the filter about half full, and hook up the radiator. Also fill the power steering pump with fluid.
I think this evening It will be good to go.
I guess the first big test is to get it running.
If/when it is started, how many rpms should I limit it to on the first start? I just want to run it until the thermostat opens (with the electronic advance wire disconnected)?

Attachments

• IMG_2810.jpeg
    IMG_2810.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 2

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
slowly turn the dist back an forth you see the spark jump ( assuming you set dist in with rotor relatively close to #1) trick is to get it to just barely have sparked, tighten down just enough to be able to move it,.
flash it up.
Thanks. I’ll give it a try. That is one thing that I’m not entirely comfortable with.. the point the #1 on the distributor toward the #1 on the engine, when installing the distributor.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this were me, I'd static-time the engine at around 4 degrees advanced, LEAVE THE SET-TIMING CONNECTOR PLUGGED IN, and let 'er eat. I would limit RPM to ~1200-ish, or whatever the computer calls for at cold startup, but I'd maintain that "fast idle" until the engine was warm.

Remember that the distributor rotor points towards the #1 terminal of the distributor cap, not the actual #1 cylinder; and again, the final part of static timing is to get the points of the reluctor aligned with the points of the pickup coil.

If you turn the rotor of the distributor with the distributor OUT of the engine, you may develop a feel for the magnetic pull as the teeth align.

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
interesting read,. the part that would cause me concern is the 50,000 miles then a lifter problem,. at 50k in my experience the sbc valvetrain is good for a heck of a lot more IF it has good oil pressure,. Lifter noise/failure is the first indication of poor oil feed,.
kudos to you for your perseverance,
Todays flat tappet cams and lifters are really poor quality,. way back when,. gm had some poor quality cams in 305 engines,. a quick easy fix to a worn cam lobe, was to put in a used 350 cam with all new lifters,. the lifters would mate to cam easy.
Best of luck with your project,.
The engine had an oil leak somewhere. I think that the previous owner may have run it some with low oil.

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First try:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1) Where the engine stopped the timing mark on the damper is past TDC
2) On the distributor the thingy appears to be slightly past #1.
3) The electronic spark advance wire is unhooked.
4) It is getting plenty of gas.
(Then I let it sit for a little while and tried again and it shot some gas back up through the TBI. Not a backfire, more like a burp.)

- When I set the timing on the dampener I held my finger over the #1 spark plug hole and it kicked air out just before TDC, so I’m pretty sure that I’m not 180 out, but at this point anything is possible.

Attachments

• IMG_2816.jpeg
    IMG_2816.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2817.jpeg
    IMG_2817.jpeg
    289.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2818.jpeg
    IMG_2818.jpeg
    358.6 KB · Views: 5