Putting a Caprice engine (L05-7) into a 92 g30 van (has L80e trans)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you get to TDC to stab the distributor? Did you verify it's on the compression stroke or exhaust?

Edit: Or, did you set the lifter preload too tight?

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How did you get to TDC to stab the distributor? Did you verify it's on the compression stroke or exhaust?

Edit: Or, did you set the lifter preload too tight?
I think that I describe in my post how I got TDC on the dampner, which included finding the compression stroke.
If anything I may have set the lifters with too little preload. The mfg. recommended 1/2 turn after removing slack and that is what I did.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have set the lifters with too little preload. The mfg. recommended 1/2 turn after removing slack and that is what I did.
The typical problem is in finding the point where the "slack" is just removed. Sometimes guys think the "slack is removed" when the lifter plunger is TOTALLY depressed. This often comes to pass when folks "spin" the pushrods. A guy with strong fingers and good "grip" can spin the pushrods until the lifter plunger is at the very bottom of their travel. And then half-a-turn of so-called preload, and the valve won't shut.

I'm not saying that's what happened here. I'm saying that it happens way too often.

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The typical problem is in finding the point where the "slack" is just removed. Sometimes guys think the "slack is removed" when the lifter plunger is TOTALLY depressed. This often comes to pass when folks "spin" the pushrods. A guy with strong fingers and good "grip" can spin the pushrods until the lifter plunger is at the very bottom of their travel. And then half-a-turn of so-called preload, and the valve won't shut.

I'm not saying that's what happened here. I'm saying that it happens way too often.
That is a possibility, for sure. I did the spin method, but certainly didn’t keep going until It wouldn’t spin any more. I stopped when I felt a little bit of resistance. Still a possibility, I guess.
I was concerned that they may be too lose because at the time when the valves are closed the rockers kind of easily flop around from side to side.

Last edited:

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Progress. The timing was 180 out.
Now it runs for a second or two then cuts off. Then I let it settle for 5 min and it will run again for 1-2 seconds. Rinse and repeat.
The timing is set at about 10 BTDC with the electronic spark wire unplugged.
This is awesome..
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hook up an odb 1 reader and get only a code 12.
Apparently this could mean a number of things:
1. Nothing, because code 12 always comes up to show that it has entered diagnostic mode.
2. No rpm signal from the distributor.
3. Intermittent signal interruption from the distributor.
4. Ignition module circuit malfunction.

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked at the Haynes Manual and it says to check:

1. Electrical connections at distributor, coil, or alternator.
2. Insufficient fuel reaching carbinator.
3. Vacuum leak.

I'll check these first..

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Working with what I have to try to narrow down the issue. Spark test with existing and spare coil and adding fuel..
edit: just changed ignition control module to spare.. same result.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited: