power steering pump whine issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM says 19319900 is the proper pump. But truthfully as long as the flow control valve is for a hydroboost 1 ton then it doesnt really matter what the pump is as long as its got the right reservoir
IDK what year his truck is and I only posted a picture of a pump that is correct fitment for a 96-2002 1 ton, because he stated he added a 1 ton system.
You must be registered for see images attach

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM says 19319900 is the proper pump. But truthfully as long as the flow control valve is for a hydroboost 1 ton then it doesnt really matter what the pump is as long as its got the right reservoir
That is an interesting point. I've honestly never looked into this before. I've converted quite a few different rigs to hydroboost, and I just used the stock pump and a T into the power steering return line. Never had an issue. My issue is strange for sure. If the damn pulley didn't have to be pressed off and on, this wouldn't annoy me so much. My buddy and I are getting pretty darn quick at replacing these stupid pumps on my truck...

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is an interesting point. I've honestly never looked into this before. I've converted quite a few different rigs to hydroboost, and I just used the stock pump and a T into the power steering return line. Never had an issue. My issue is strange for sure. If the damn pulley didn't have to be pressed off and on, this wouldn't annoy me so much. My buddy and I are getting pretty darn quick at replacing these stupid pumps on my truck...
to check alignment of the pulley and play with it you dont have to remove it, you install the tool on the hub and either install it further or pull it slightly off, take a picture of the pulley on the truck with a straight edge over it?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id say try crossing it to a C3500 but im just going off what GM says. Plus it says discontinued so its possible thats why its not "verified"
I believe OP’s is a K series though. Plus the one that does show correct fitment in picture directly above is also discontinued.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm installing my cooler this Wednesday evening. I have a Napa pump on order just in case, but before I abandon the GM pump, I want to try it with the cooler and bleed the system with all new fluid. I confirmed that GM recommends on a 96-99 K2500/3500 with a hydroboost to use power steering fluid instead of ATF. I'm using the O'reilly brand power steering fluid as it shows compatible as a direct replacement to the GM fluid. It also has a higher boil point compared to other fluids. If it still acts up, I'm going to drain the system and try ATF before replacing the pump.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still recommend a magnetic inline filter before the cooler (helps prevent wear and damage)

I'd like to chime in on this. Approx a year ago the steering pump in my DD was just starting to
whine and the assist was also becoming a bit juddery. Did a fair amount of research, and some
were reporting that a fluid change and the addition of a magnetic inline filter solved their problem
without having to resort to a power steering pump swap. A quick check of the fluid in the reservoir
made me think that it was original to when the 20+ year old vehicle was built? Not a good look.

So I got one of these:

You must be registered for see images attach

I jacked the front end up, drained the PS pump, replaced with new fluid, powered up
and cycled everything L<>R several times. Then I drained the fluid again & repeated
the process until the fluid stayed clear. (Maybe 4-5 iterations total?)

Afterwards, I installed this filter. And over the period of a week the more I drove it
the better it sounded and assisted. That was a year ago, and the pump has remained
quiet and the assist buttery smooth. (And I'm pretty fussy about steering feel/feedback.)
And the fluid in the reservoir has remained clear. Bonus!

All in all, the ~5 quarts of fluid + this filter was some of the best bang for the buck that
I spent on my DD last year. And if I ever have to swap in a new PS pump, at least I know
that it will be pressed into service in a cleaner than average, debris-free system.

Just another data point for your consideration.

Best of luck. I've learned a *lot* about the GMT400 power steering setup via this thread, and
as a hydroboost owner I now know to pay close attention to all the specifics pointed out
in this conversation.

Good stuff.

Last edited:

Toenail

Reaction score
Schurkey is correct about the one nipple vs two nipples. I have read somewhere that the two nipple ones put out more pressure but I am running my conversion with the Tee in the return line. I was never able to prove with factual GM information that the two nipple one puts out more pressure. My brakes were not great after the conversion and I was concerned that pressure might be the problem. After about a year the brakes are fantastic and I think it was a matter of bleeding and pad break-in.