Power Steering Problems after Steering Gearbox Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRoberts1278

Reaction score
Upper and lower ball joints and inner and outer tie rod ends were replaced within the last year around 5000 miles ago if that. There have been two alignments done on the truck within the last year, one in July 2023 after the other front end parts were replaced and one on Monday after the steering gear box was replaced. The alignment shop last year told me that they got the alignment as good as they could without replacing the gear box due to excessive slack. I replaced the gear box, and the remanned gear box has a bunch more slack than the one that I took off that had 395,000 miles on it.

I did have trouble bleeding it, but I had used two different bleed procedures. One with the engine on and one with the engine off. I replaced the power steering pump during the same time frame that I replaced the gear box. When the air was still in the power steering system, I did not feel any power assist. That is how I determined that I still had air in the lines.

I have to turn the steering wheel significantly back and forth while the truck is driving straight. The steering wheel gives me no resistance between 10 and 2, with the front tires straight. As if the steering wheel is not steering the truck until it gets past those two points. I did not have that problem to this extend with the old box. I had been able to tell that there was slack in the steering with the old box, but the way it is acting with the remanned box is much worse. I am considering replacement of the rag joint and testing it before I remove steering box again.

I have worked on automobiles off and on for the last 28 years, mostly engine work outside of routine maintenance. I have an automotive technology degree with experience as a shop/dealership mechanic and as a service adviser. I normally work on my own vehicles. I have replaced power steering pumps and front end parts numerous amount of times, but this is my first experience replacing a steering gear box. This experience has taught me that I may have a slight knowledge of auto repair, but my abilities are lacking significantly.

rob249

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A little warning about remanned steering gears...

A few years ago, maybe 2017 or 2018, I too replaced my steering box, ball joints, and all steering components. My remanned box also had lots of play, more than the worn out OEM one it replaced. I used a NAPA box, although the AutoZone and orielly boxes were roughly the same price, probably just the same company re boxing the same parts for everyone.

I was turning into a parking lot a week after I put the new box in, and it locked up mid turn! It took both hands on one side of the wheel and ALL my strength to straighten it out, literally lifted myself out of the seat. It began functioning normally after that, at least until I parked it in the lot. I had the truck towed home after that, and returned that steering box.

These remanned steering gears can be very dangerous, dont know how common that is, but I wont trust that parts store nonsense for anything safety critical anymore, that could have been a disaster.

If you can afford it, return that box and get a quality unit from elsewhere, or possibly take your old box, if you still have it, and have it rebuilt locally. I went with a RedHead box, it was very expensive, but works flawlessly and has ZERO play to this day.

Just my two cents, I know "spend more money" is kind of crappy advise, but that remanned steering box really scared me.

edit; Also, make sure you do the rag joint BEFORE you get an alignment, I forgot that and did it after the fact, now my wheel is slightly to the left when driving straight. I deal with it, but it bothers me every time I drive it.