power steering pump whine issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly, for instance, the pump that works with my 96 1500 does not show fitment for a 1 ton.
You must be registered for see images attach

And the correct pump for a 3500 “system” is GM 88963609.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for all the tips. Sorry for my late reply! I will try to answer all the questions. Originally when I converted to hydroboost, I was using my stock pump that came on the truck back in 1998. It was getting a little tired before I installed the hydroboost system, so I planned on replacing it regardless. I used a T fitting to tie in the Hydroboost return line. The EVO system started to fail (that was fun..) so I replaced the pump with a new master pro pump. That worked fine. No issues or noise. Now that I'm thinking about it, that pump lasted 2 years. It never whined. It started to get tired. I was not running a cooler. I replaced it, and got almost 2 years out of the new master pro pump. Same issue, it started to get tired. O'reillys said that the master pro pumps are not super great quality, so they upgraded me to a cardone pump, which would be for my truck application without hydroboost. Generally, that just means no extra return line. I bled the pump before starting. That pump howled the moment I turned the truck on. It sounded like I was driving with a supercharger. O'reillys and I discussed it, and we went with the same pump listed above. It was OEM, and made for hydroboost. When I received the pump, I noticed that there was no cap, and there was no plugs on the return lines, which I thought was odd... I installed it, and it made noise. No where near the volume of the Cardone pump, but it was constant. We replaced it with another identical AC Delco pump. It came with a cap and plugs on all ports... So it makes me think that someone returned that other AC Delco pump. Who knows... This pump makes a little noise when cold, and when it warms up, it gets quiet. Under lots of braking conditions, it gets a little whiny. I'm going to install a cooler on the return line from the Hydroboost. I didn't need this for the OEM and Masterpro pumps, but maybe the AC Delco pump needs it.

My fluid is clean and full. On the previous AC Delco pump, I ran ATF. I also bled the system and tried power steering fluid. It made a little bit of difference, so with the replacement AC Delco pump, I went with Power Steering Fluid. I'm going to install a cooler next week and see what that does. I may warranty out this pump again, and see what happens.

Also, just for the record, I've been wrenching on engines since the early 2000s. I was a boat mechanic for almost 10 years, so the 350 is the engine I worked on most. I'm just trying to say, I'm not a newbie. I'm also working on this with a family friend who has been wrenching on GM engines professionally and for hobby for the last 60 years. We are both baffled. Even talking with my father in law that runs an auto repair shop stated the quality of replacement parts has steadily gone down hill, thus why I went with the AC Delco pump. Its not rocket science to replace a power steering pump.

Attachments

• 1717085931770.jpeg
    1717085931770.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I guess maybe the flow is reduced?

Heres some fun stuff:

Looks like we need to know what Hydroboost unit you have, and if your truck you got it from (not your truck itself) had EVO (possibly)
I'm using a brand new hydroboost that is designed for a 96-2000 k2500-3500 truck that would have a 7.4 or 6.5 diesel engine. I don't have the EVO system anymore. I took it one step further and used a hydroboost line set from a 95-96 that wasn't designed for the EVO system, so there's no power steering hose adapter needed. My high pressure hose connects directly into the back of the power steering control valve. I am using a 19420676 power steering pump with the recommended fluid. I don't have a cooler in line, but I will be installing one this weekend. I never needed it before, but if that's the fix...cool. I'm installing this because I had one laying around brand new.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm using a brand new hydroboost that is designed for a 96-2000 k2500-3500 truck that would have a 7.4 or 6.5 diesel engine. I don't have the EVO system anymore. I took it one step further and used a hydroboost line set from a 95-96 that wasn't designed for the EVO system, so there's no power steering hose adapter needed. My high pressure hose connects directly into the back of the power steering control valve. I am using a 19420676 power steering pump with the recommended fluid. I don't have a cooler in line, but I will be installing one this weekend. I never needed it before, but if that's the fix...cool. I'm installing this because I had one laying around brand new.
make sure to use fuel injection hose clamps and avoid kinking the line. I still recommend a magnetic inline filter before the cooler (helps prevent wear and damage)

Is the flow control valve in your hydroboost one you had to install or was it pre-installed? because you should still pull it out and inspect. But if you have issues when its cold as well as hot, it wont fix your issue. but look at the stuff about pulley alignment and more indepth air bleeding for more tips

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And still available:
GM says 19319900 is the proper pump. But truthfully as long as the flow control valve is for a hydroboost 1 ton then it doesnt really matter what the pump is as long as its got the right reservoir