power steering pump whine issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be replacing my box and pump this weekend, have both GM oem PSF and Chevron synthetic ATF HD which is TES295 spec- hmmm which one.
I would use the GM oem psf if you are in a warm climate

But if cold i would be using Cold Climate PSF
the ATF is likely to be in the same boat as dexron vi

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM "Cold Climate" PS fluid made a WORLD of difference in my Trailblazer. Went from whining like a spoiled three-year-old, to wonderfully quiet.
www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-5044-Climate-Power-Steering/dp/B007Q10PTW/ref=sr_1_1?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The seasonally frozen hellscapes we live in demand it. Its simply required. My hydroboost gmt800 truck had chocolate milk when I got it. original fluid, original lines, original cooler, original pump, original all but the hydroboost i do believe.
i have been flushing with Seafoam trans tune as it cleans varnish and the like. my steering is great and much quieter, i used simple Over the counter fluid to do this since im going to flush more. Once im happy with fluid im getting the Cold Climate because the steering is just heavy and you can feel the system just have such a hard time moving the viscous fluid at -30 even up to above zero its obvious.

Was your noise in the summer or winter?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The seasonally frozen hellscapes we live in demand it.
Yes.

i have been flushing with Seafoam trans tune as it cleans varnish and the like.
My former boss turned me onto Seafoam Trans Tune. Truthfully, I don't have any use for the regular Seafoam except as a gasoline stabilizer, and even that is kinda questionable.

Seafoam "Deep Creep" penetrating oil is nothing but regular Seafoam in an aerosol can.

And my suspicion--unproven--is that Trans Tune is regular Seafoam in a differently-labeled container.

But I have heard good things about Trans Tune in transmissions and PS systems.

Was your noise in the summer or winter?
Yes. Spring and Fall, too.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes.

My former boss turned me onto Seafoam Trans Tune. Truthfully, I don't have any use for the regular Seafoam except as a gasoline stabilizer, and even that is kinda questionable.

Seafoam "Deep Creep" penetrating oil is nothing but regular Seafoam in an aerosol can.

And my suspicion--unproven--is that Trans Tune is regular Seafoam in a differently-labeled container.

But I have heard good things about Trans Tune in transmissions and PS systems.

Yes. Spring and Fall, too.
The deep creep I will stand behind. Project Farm has a good video showing its real world benefits in his video on penetrating fluids., and I use it frequently . I like it because the cost and its not as irritating as PB blaster gets. PB blaster i like to use on the stuff I can confidently douse in the stuff in maybe come back a week later and do it again, but im more concious of what it gets on (staining, brittle plastics, etc). PB also has the jet stream which is a nice feature from the basic tip. Deep creap is nice to use for cleaning steel and keeping it from rusty if you deal with machine tables/ guides/plates/etc.

The stuff is definitely different than the regular stuff in a can, the trans tune is definitely a petroleum distillate iirc which is red, but very slippery/very thin, and its meant to break down varnish and depending on the system aid on those o rings which are no longer factory size and the original fluid protection is long gone. I wouldnt use trans tune in something serviced properly without issue, the use in my 4t65e is what i believe caused my hose on the differential lube pipe to get stiff , but this is a rare use of a submerged rubber hose in a transmission lubricating circuit, ive not seen it do this to ps hoses or trans hoses