Paycheck again at 71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Today: Replaced the idler arm, packed front bearings and replaced seals, replaced valve cover gasket and cleaned carb, replaced wipers and retention arms and replaced the radiator cap. Road tested and verified no leaks and verified handling and brakes and clutch operation. Made sure he road tested it to get used to brakes.

I had 10 hours in it at $80 and hour. I gave him his military discount of $70 an hour.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Today, I worked on my American Legion friend's 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser. First oil change since the major work we did in December with timing chain and guides and tensioners and water pump and timing cover oil leak repair....was a major job. I did the oil and filter change and put in 2 new headlamp bulbs and tracked him down some Army/Olive green touch up paint.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Over the last year I have had some right groin and hip pain at times. Mainly after working on vehicles here.

Went to my Orthopedics appointment and they did some more x-rays of the right hip. Found some "narrowing" of cartilage and have decided to do a steroid shot and then monitor progress to see what they will do next. The shot is on 8/9 and the follow up is 8/14.

On 8/20 I meet at the VA and talk with a surgeon and consult for a "possible" surgery for hernia or possible non surgical treatment.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Over the last year I have had some right groin and hip pain at times. Mainly after working on vehicles here.

Went to my Orthopedics appointment and they did some more x-rays of the right hip. Found some "narrowing" of cartilage and have decided to do a steroid shot and then monitor progress to see what they will do next. The shot is on 8/9 and the follow up is 8/14.

On 8/20 I meet at the VA and talk with a surgeon and consult for a "possible" surgery for hernia or possible non surgical treatment.

Well best of luck to ya. In my experience the joints don't seem to heal themselves.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well best of luck to ya. In my experience the joints don't seem to heal themselves.
I always thought that I needed a lift to be more comfortable and mobile when working under a vehicle. I was helping out at a friends shop and worked under the lift. I found that standing there and reaching up, on the concrete, for periods of time, was harder on my back and hip than laying on my back under a vehicle. I have these 4' x 8' roll out 3/8" thick foam pads that I lay on and that is pretty comfortable. When I am working on the perimeter at the wheels areas, I either sit on the pads or my mechanic's stool. I don't ache near as much when I do that. The hip feels way better and I do not twist and turn and stretch as much as when I am under a lift and that is way better on my groin.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The thing about the hip is this, I had the groin pain, during working on vehicles and could sit for 5 minutes and the pain would go away. I really had no hip pain but the hip concern showed up on the MRI and so now they are treating/examining the hip and for hernia. I was way heavier before at about 350 to 360 lbs. During China Virus, I lost down to around 245 lbs. I felt weak and have put some weight back on. I am at 285 now but am trying to get back to 275 lbs. I know that if I was heavier, any hip problems would be more noticeable. I will know more after the steroid shot and follow up and my possible hernia surgery consult August 20th. I am 6'4" tall, to help picture how I can carry the 275 lbs.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was way heavier before at about 350 to 360 lbs. During China Virus, I lost down to around 245 lbs. I felt weak and have put some weight back on. I am at 285 now but am trying to get back to 275 lbs. I know that if I was heavier, any hip problems would be more noticeable. I will know more after the steroid shot and follow up and my possible hernia surgery consult August 20th. I am 6'4" tall, to help picture how I can carry the 275 lbs.
I have a similar story - about 9 Months ago, I weighed ~290LBS at 6' tall. Then I had my heart operations over a couple months and dropped to ~235. I had a hard time getting up out of bed and balancing when I did. I'd pass out every once in a while, get up, and go back to bed. Now, I'm back up to ~250LBS and can walk on my own but, not very far at a time :33: My knee is feeling a little better after dropping all that weight but, I still can't walk without a limp.

With you at 6'4" and 275 and me at 6'0" and 250, (and about the same age) we both have the same BMI - Obese :rolleyes: Oh well, good luck with your shot!

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a similar story - about 9 Months ago, I weighed ~290LBS at 6' tall. Then I had my heart operations over a couple months and dropped to ~235. I had a hard time getting up out of bed and balancing when I did. I'd pass out every once in a while, get up, and go back to bed. Now, I'm back up to ~250LBS and can walk on my own but, not very far at a time :33: My knee is feeling a little better after dropping all that weight but, I still can't walk without a limp.

With you at 6'4" and 275 and me at 6'0" and 250, (and about the same age) we both have the same BMI - Obese :rolleyes: Oh well, good luck with your shot!
As long as I feel strong and am having fun with my girl.....I am happy.

Attachments

• 20220514_122915.jpg
    20220514_122915.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 10