Noise from Bell housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nuggets/sludge would be bad. Since the trans has been out and TC replaced with mods to the valve body anything is possible. Just start peeling away the layers until you get there.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What a mess. Should have drained transmission fluid but, I really was hoping this was going to be a simple get transmission out of the way a bit and see what was going on with the flexplate.....

Couldn't get my truck high enough and had to really tilt the transmission and there was fluid everywhere... Nice looking at least...Smelled brand new.....

Not much room at all I have to work with...

So, jacking up the truck while my son manned the jack under the engine made me think about last year when I had the mobile mechanic pull the transmission last year.... There was no supporting of the motor at any stage and the truck was lifted up pretty good in the front. Don't remember a fight with the transmission and you could sit Indian style under the truck to get a the rear main seal for example.....

I just looked through some old pictures to verify there was never any engine support.....
Should I be concerned?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I started a thread over in the transmission area for whatever ends up going on with it as it relates to this hunt for the noise. Nick seems to think the pump rotor is ok, my torque converter fluid looks very good, no weird scoring on it or anything...but...

Looking closer, and I mentioned the flexplate bolt holes earlier... I see some oddities where the torque converter pads mount to the flexplate as well. Everything was really torqued correctly so I'm not sure what could be going on but I'm suspicious.

I ordered a new GM flexplate and o-ring for torque converter...
I'll ask about the torque converter in the transmission section. Not sure I'm a fan of how uneven the mounting pads look on this one. Maybe wear was created because this was a NOS GM reman one...
Definitely want to address any issues now obviously.....

Is there any other useful information that can be had while I have stuff removed as I do? Back of the block? Any information about all those cam plugs or any advice on changing anything? Did notice the heat shield on passenger floor board is missing the foil/fiberglass material inside like the driver's side has..... Not sure if that is normal but it's right above the exhaust and , since I don't have carpet atm, it definitely is hot on the floor...lol

Here's a video of the flexplate and converter concerns I just took

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media