Noise from Bell housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I was actually thinking about going over to the transmission area and ask you to come take a listen...wasn't sure if you would see my thread.
Its actually a lot harder than most realize to determine the sources of noises based on youtube videos so prob isnt going to be any diff here. You are right there live while it is happening so if you're certain it's coming from the area of the crank or flex plate there's no point in guessing/pontificating any longer. Just yank it and the flexplate. Examine everything (flexplate, converter, front pump, rear crank mounting flange, starter, block and so forth).

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
Its actually a lot harder than most realize to determine the sources of noises based on youtube videos so prob isnt going to be any diff here. You are right there live while it is happening so if you're certain it's coming from the area of the crank or flex plate there's no point in guessing/pontificating any longer. Just yank it and the flexplate. Examine everything (flexplate, converter, front pump, rear crank mounting flange, starter, block and so forth).
Possibly front pump on transmission..... Yours hasn't completely failed yet? My old '88 GMC 700r4 , did that...

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Possibly front pump on transmission..... Yours hasn't completely failed yet? My old '88 GMC 700r4 , did that...
I was thinking about replacing it while it's out to be honest . Not because of any issues I'm having with performance but I guess if recommended it would be a good time to update.
I want to address things as I go along.

Actually at the tire shop now getting new tires put on the Saturn because I'm going to be using it for work it seems and they are long past their reasonable life for sure...

Lost the remote so I can't pause this show of life atm...

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about replacing it while it's out to be honest . Not because of any issues I'm having with performance but I guess if recommended it would be a good time to update.
I want to address things as I go along.

Actually at the tire shop now getting new tires put on the Saturn because I'm going to be using it for work it seems and they are long past their reasonable life for sure...

Lost the remote so I can't pause this show of life atm...
Are you referring to the front pump in the transmission?

If so, you'll be overhauling the unit as it makes absolutely no sense to just replace the pump. At bare minimum, you'll need to check the entire transmission into a holding fixture mounted to a bench or engine stand so that you can perform a front end play check with the installation of the new pump to ensure you still have somewhere between .015-.035. If you're outside of that range, the forward drum/reverse input drum, band will have to come out so you can swap to a different thickness of selective washer at the base of the input shaft.

By the time you're into it that far, you may as well just take the whole thing apart and put all new soft parts, replace the roller one way clutch assemblies and electronics so you don't have to worry about the transmission again for any reason.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At bare minimum, you'll need to check the entire transmission into a holding fixture mounted to a bench or engine stand so that you can perform a front end play check with the installation of the new pump to ensure you still have somewhere between .015-.035.
Definitely going to have to be bare minimum. I guess any useful inspection while it's out will have to do when the time comes.
I do need to address a seal back by the transfer case. I actually put a new one in a year ago but it still leaks somewhere just above the transmission mount. I'm not sure if the mobile mechanic used a torque wrench because he liked to gun everything and said he only believed torque specs were necessary on some things and too light on others...
idk...maybe it's a different seal I need to be looking at but this one in the pic is the one I replaced...will see
Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG20230606062750_01.jpg
    IMG20230606062750_01.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 3

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely going to have to be bare minimum. I guess any useful inspection while it's out will have to do when the time comes.
I do need to address a seal back by the transfer case. I actually put a new one in a year ago but it still leaks somewhere just above the transmission mount. I'm not sure if the mobile mechanic used a torque wrench because he liked to gun everything and said he only believed torque specs were necessary on some things and too light on others...
idk...maybe it's a different seal I need to be looking at but this one in the pic is the one I replaced...will see
Thanks again!
If the pump in the transmission is damaged (rotor is in pieces, which you can confirm or deny by taking a pick and poking at the rotor when the TC is out of the way), AND you're not going to be putting it on the stand/bench for overhaul you should:

- Have it rebuilt by a shop
- Buy a reman unit
- Install a good used unit (major gamble w/this option)

Hopefully, the transmission isn't the source of the noise but check the pump rotor to be sure.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the pump in the transmission is damaged (rotor is in pieces, which you can confirm or deny by taking a pick and poking at the rotor when the TC is out of the way),
Awesome...Thanks
Hopefully, the transmission isn't the source of the noise but check the pump rotor to be sure.
Man I hope it isn't. Really think it's coming from crank/flexplate mounting area. At least that's where the lion's share of the noise is for sure. Just can't see anything that resembles cracking and I've looked to the point where I'm even trying to imagine seeing some.

Putting some front struts on the back up car/Saturn when they get here so my truck is going to have to wait a bit before I make it immobile....