1998 power doors on 1988 that was manual everything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ando069

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im wiring up 1998 power doors on my 1988.. i have windows working 100%.. i moved on to door locks.
I have a diagram followed to a "t".. when i hit the lock/unlock i have power going to the harness for both. But the locks do nothing.. my diagram shows a grey wire going to acuator but i dont have a grey wire coming out of switch at all.

I have two questions... 1. How do I trip the lock just to see if it functional at all.
2. Do i need a relay? If so i would need a little help with that piece.

P.S.
I got this far reading all the post i could.. kudos to the guys who been there done that! You got me realllly close just need help getting back off the ledge i'm on.

Last edited:

Ando069

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully my latest tests and discoveries peeks someones interest.. My doors are off a 4dr tahoe... i think thats my issue.. I have the Blue and White wires signaling when pressed LOCK/UNLOCK.. I think my issue is with the Tan and grey (that i did find at the plug in the kick panel) but I dont see it connected to the switch at all. I'm thinking the 4door master switch accepted the additional harness making things work.

My question here is... where do I splice in the driver's actuator for it to work with the 2dr master switch?

I'm currently looking at comparing the 2dr/4dr schematics, but my understanding is that the 2dr didnt have a relay and the 4dr did. Thats my challenge.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Sounds like you got the doors from a truck with keyless entry. The wiring for those is different from those without keyless, the switches don't run the lock actuators directly. Your best option would have been to pull the cross-body harness with the doors, then you'd have all the keyless equipment as well.

Last edited: