Noise from Bell housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see a few chipped teeth, just in the thumbnail
I'll check it out... I noticed nicks on every tooth but wasn't sure if that's from 30 years of bendix engaging.. I obsessed over looking for contact with starter anywhere while it was running and couldn't see anything. Was kinda hoping I would....

Pull off the torque conv and in a clean pan dump the fluid. do the same with the oil pan. Post what you see.
will do... I'm kinda in a bind with not having the right jack to get my truck up in the air enough to get transmission from under.....so I need to get some blocks to temporarily get it up high enough to raise the stands...
I should have drained it before but was hoping to see a cracked flexplate tbh....

I did measure top of torque converter mounting pads to bell housing and am getting 1.06" but it's not super perfect setup I had....

I'll pull and dump the converter next...
Pretty confident everything will be ok... but was confident I'd see cracks too so.....

here's a video of crank side.... nothing standing out to me but I'm clueless.... looking quick at video I do see a bit of shiny around the crank mounting area for flexplate...will go look again...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's torque converter fluid...looks nice...feels nice....

If I want to jack the truck up higher, do I need to keep support under engine at the same time so it doesn't hang? Or is it of to hang there until I get everything situated?
I just have engine barely supported on block of wood/jack under oil pan atm.......

Attachments

• IMG20240629182430.jpg
    IMG20240629182430.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG20240629182456.jpg
    IMG20240629182456.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 7

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re doing good. When you pull the torque conv you will get an opportunity to look at the end of the output shaft (splines). Depending on what you see with fluid etc. You will have to make a decision. Do you plan on rebuilding the trans yourself? If you have never rebuilt a transmision it’s not that difficult with guidance (manual and this forum). However, you will need some tools that can be pricy. If you decide to have someone rebuild it, don’t dismantle it. Look around your area for a reputable trans builder. They do exist! And if you are lucky they will tear it down right in front of you and explain what they see and what likely happened. Do you tow? Hilly area? Warm weather? Consider how you use the vehicle and build it to suit your needs - very important. If you don’t have the service manual download Here. Familiarize yourself with the layout of your transmission and what it takes to rebuild it. It will be very helpful when you have a conversation with the person who rebuilds it if you go that way.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I want to jack the truck up higher, do I need to keep support under engine at the same time so it doesn't hang? Or is it of to hang there until I get everything situated?
I just have engine barely supported on block of wood/jack under oil pan atm.......
You need to support the engine. Do that ASAP. Do you see glitter or nuggets of any kind? Hard to tell from the pic. Did the noise just start happening? Did you stop driving it when you heard the noise? If so that’s a good thing.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When you get a chance can you post a pic of the RPO sticker in the glove compartment?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you pull the torque conv you will get an opportunity to look at the end of the output shaft (splines)
What should I be looking for? I do see the splines are tapered at the bottom which is disturbing . But not sure if that's normal. Little o-ring is there.. It was replaced last year when transmission was out for unrelated stuff.....

Do you plan on rebuilding the trans yourself? If you have never rebuilt a transmision it’s not that difficult with guidance (manual and this forum).
I'm not planning for anything other than finding out what was making that noise. Transmission has been doing good afaik but I'm open for whatever comes my way.
You need to support the engine. Do that ASAP.
It is supported. I was supporting it before I removed the transmission. Only issue is that the truck isn't high enough for me to get transmission from underneath. I could wrestle it off of the transmission jack and drag it out but that's not going to be fun and the reverse process to get it back sounds worse.

Ok...So I need to make sure I support the engine as I'm trying to get the truck higher... 2 jacks going at same time basically.....

Do you see glitter or nuggets of any kind?
Actually, when I left converter upside down over the bucket for a while to drain more and looked, I can see glitter when I put the light directly on it and put my 10x magnifying glasses on....... The trails you see when dragging your finger through it... Can't tell if it's micro bubbles... But to the naked eye in normal bright light it looks clean/perfect. Not sure putting 5000 lumens right up to it and looking at 10x magnification is normal practice. Seems like the kind of stuff that would end up on the pan magnet......idk
Something tells me pan is going to tell same story...
Did the noise just start happening? Did you stop driving it when you heard the noise? If so that’s a good thing.
I heard slight ticking back in May and it got worse over the last couple of weeks.... Can't hear it when truck is cold for some reason.....takes a minute to start making it's racket....I haven't driven it since starting this post.... I want to figure out what the noise is.
I'm 99% sure it was coming from the crank mounting area but who knows....

I don't have a long pick to poke around down beside the shaft where I'm assuming Nick said to in order to check if pump rotor is messed up.....
I can get my scope along the sides of the shaft and see down to the bottom but I'm not sure yet what to look for,,,,

I am getting suspicious of the flexplate where it bolts to the crank..... The flanged/washer part of the bolts seems to have created an egg shaped surface on the flexplate but it's hard to tell.
And those bolts were tight... Had to use breaker to get them loose.....not sure how any movement could happen if they were torqued down correctly.....

Will keep at it...Need to get this truck higher...

Last edited:

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be the TC is starting to come apart. Trans filter and pan should be informative.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Transcode
it's M30...MX0 option......
Tansmission was rebuilt a long time ago .... due for another I'm sure... who knows what happened before rebuild..... Does say M30 on transmission though....

Has transgo kit....corvette servo.... had some updated stuff in it when the transgo kit was installed so can only assume the rebuild may have been ok and my friend who owned the truck prior said they did whatever the update/make better thing was at the time.......but it was 15 years ago....so not sure what that was at that time....

It may be the TC is starting to come apart. Trans filter and pan should be informative.
TC was a brand new NOS GM reman that was put in last year when transmission was out but it was on shelf for at least 10 years since that was the date on the box afaik...
What would I be looking for in the pan? Obvious stuff? Bits and pieces?