Noise from Bell housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the Yukon back in garage. Was going to wait until tomorrow to start removing the transmission but figured I'd goof around some tonight. Noticed this noise once I loosened the torque converter from flexplate. Is this normal? Guessing it sounds like the pump area. Obviously the converter doesn't shake back and forth in normal operation. Just something I noticed and was curious about.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That could just be space or lash between gear teeth. I'm be real interested at the flex plate to crank area. If or when you remove the flex plate I would inspect very closely, the ring gear , and bolt mounting areas.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any vibration or noise driving at certain speeds? Check your endplay.

Attachments

• manifest_page_1.jpeg
    manifest_page_1.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 7

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That could just be space or lash between gear teeth. I'm be real interested at the flex plate to crank area. If or when you remove the flex plate I would inspect very closely, the ring gear , and bolt mounting areas.
That's exactly what it seems like but I wouldn't know. I know I keep trying to get a close peek before it comes off and just can't see anything useful yet. Can see the flex/crank bolts....no signs of anything.... Maybe when I go to remove them, one will be loose....
Not really as far as I can tell. I did have some front end vibration at 70mph+ but think I have that sorted from front end stuff being done... Still have some but my tires are pretty cupped in areas atm....
I'll check out those measurements...thanks..

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's exactly what it seems like but I wouldn't know. I know I keep trying to get a close peek before it comes off and just can't see anything useful yet. Can see the flex/crank bolts....no signs of anything.... Maybe when I go to remove them, one will be loose....
Not really as far as I can tell. I did have some front end vibration at 70mph+ but think I have that sorted from front end stuff being done... Still have some but my tires are pretty cupped in areas atm....

Quick rough check of endplay measurements appear at least near that spec...Kinda hard to measure bellhousing to converter pads with the flexplate installed...

I need a different type of caliper..... looks like just over an inch from bellhousing to converter pads and about 1/4" between flexplate and motor...
Will measure better tomorrow...thanks for that..

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The type of debris in the trans fluid and filter will dictate the route you will have to take regarding repairs. Good luck

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not seeing anything wrong with the flexplate..... but not sure what I could be looking for....Bolts were super tight so I'm guessing they were all torqued as they should have been.....
Was really hoping to see something obvious......
ring gear does have some areas where it doesn't look solid but not sure if those areas are normal......I'm guessing a new flexplate would be mandatory at this juncture anyway?
Any direction from here would be appreciated....
I'll look at Nick's previous advice about poking around the pump area...
I'll get some more video of crank area too....

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I'm not seeing anything wrong with the flexplate..... but not sure what I could be looking for....Bolts were super tight so I'm guessing they were all torqued as they should have been.....
ring gear does have some areas where it doesn't look solid but not sure if those areas are normal......I'm guessing a new flexplate would be mandatory at this juncture anyway?

I see a few chipped teeth, just in the thumbnail. My burb had a bad spot on the flexplate, and if you happened to "land" on that spot when the engine stopped, you'd have to bump it past that, to get the starter Bendix to properly engage. Ended up replacing the flexplate after it busted the nose cone off the starter....

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

and Trans Filter