New Drive Line Needed. YAY!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I was able to source a candidate block, and I really trust my machine shop, so we are going to roll the dice. Pray for the current block to hold up for the next few months while the engine is being built. It has held up for 30K, whats another 3,000 miles.
Only bummer is I am going to be doing the swap in the rain up here in the PNW.

Anyone have any insight on the NV4500 swap? I have all of the hardware sourced. I am slightly concerned about the wiring (deleting all the garbage for the auto) and of course the gear ratio. It is an early NV4500 so Gearing: 6.34, 3.44, 1.71, 1, .73. Leaving in second will be fine just like my K3500. I believe I have a 3.42 rear end.
Manual swap! It's not that hard, I've done it twice, both times for way less than a rebuilt 4l60e.

You don't have to worry about the wiring! The engine will run just fine with or without a transmission wired in.

All you need to worry about is the neutral safety switch and reverse lights.

With a couple butt connectors, it'll literially drive like factory (the cruise control will even work).

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight on the NV4500 swap? I have all of the hardware sourced. I am slightly concerned about the wiring (deleting all the garbage for the auto) and of course the gear ratio.

Re: The wiring concerns. Since we have access to all of the FSMs, just about any wiring-related question that
may come up can be answered. That plus we have several helpful folk who are driving a manual transmission
in here. And no doubt if we need someone to take a look at their setup in order to answer any questions they
will just like always step up and share the wealth. (Not to mention the talent who've upgraded their own GMT400
from auto to manual transmission and know where the tricky bits are...like @jjester6000 above.)

What some folks forget is that it takes horsepower to create the line pressure that is used to control the
automatic transmission bits. So for me a NV4500 is equal to some 'free horsepower' if I'm considering the
4L60 > NV4500 upgrade. Could be I just prefer driving a stick, but the free hp, plus a small MPG benefit?
I know which way I'd go if I was in your situation.

FWIW --

323kielr

Reaction score
Thank you all! My wife and I both enjoy the NV4500 in the truck, it does add an extra level of driving engagement which can be challenging with young kids, but it's so nice.

We are both on board with the manual trans.

I am still hungry up on the engine selection. The pick and pulls want $1,100 for a running engine and $780 for a core. I am sure I could find a donor rig if I was patient, but I am still drawn to the idea of a blueprint engine. Maybe this one:

I think this might even work with the vortec intake and all the accessories. Any thoughts?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy button is putting it back together with the Vortec setup. It's not a bad option at all.

Swapping to a Sniper takes a bit of work, and that's if it's set up with all the fiddly bits you need that Holley doesn't include. The Blueprint Sniper does not look to include the throttle arm corrector nor the adapters to plug into the factory fuel lines. The only reason I went with a Sniper is because I went with a bigger cam and didn't want to dork around with having a shop tune it.