Power steering line leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steering should be essentially silent until the steering wheel is turned to the lock. At full lock, the pump will whine, and the pressure goes WAY up.

Kylebg94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No. Did you follow any procedure to remove any air…is it low on fluid?
I had someone turn the steering wheel to full lock back and forth dozens of times until I didn't see anymore air bubbles coming out of the system. I first ran the truck for a few minutes before doing that. It only had a few bubbles come out. BTW, I only hear it when turning left sometimes. You also, only hear it. In the truck, nit outside of the truck.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only hear it when turning left sometimes.

So you only hear the noise when it’s FULLY turned? As in all the way…locked? Fully tuned, it will whine.
If the steering is turned to full-lock, you should hear the whine turning left OR right.

The question I have now is "why aren't you hearing the same whine when turning full-lock to the right?"

Kylebg94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you only hear the noise when it’s FULLY turned? As in all the way…locked? Fully tuned, it will

So you only hear the noise when it’s FULLY turned? As in all the way…locked? Fully tuned, it will whine.
Yes, I heard when turning into a parking space today. The steering was pretty all the way to the left. If I'm going around a left curve or turning at a stop sign. Then, there is no noise. I think it may be normal. It's just that I never paid it much attention.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the steering is turned to full-lock, you should hear the whine turning left OR right.

The question I have now is "why aren't you hearing the same whine when turning full-lock to the right?"
Believe me, I understand that, mine does left or right…fully locked.

Kylebg94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I haven't turned the wheel all the way to right yet, like I did turning into a parking spot. I'll try that tonight when I leave work to see if I can hear it. I'll try to record it to. It's a very suddle noise. If you had the radio on or the heat on full blast. You wouldn't hear it.

Kylebg94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to post a YouTube link, so you guys can hear what I'm talking about. I got a tacoma with mechanical power steering. And you hear absolutely nothing when turning all the way to the right or left. Other than the engine idle change. Because your putting a load on it. I read somewhere, that a guy with a 2004 suburban had a similar noise. And his mechanic stated. It was cussed by a loose belt. And once he tightened it. The noise went away.