Power steering line leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "power steering cooler" (a loop of seamless steel tubing wound back-and-forth inside the left frame tube) of my '97 K2500 perforated due to incorrect hardware holding the snow-plow bracket to the frame. In other words, somebody crammed too-long bolts into the frame, and one of 'em rubbed on the "cooler" until it wore a hole in the tubing.

The leak would empty the PS reservoir in about half an hour.

I had to drive the truck about 150 miles home when I bought it. I figured I'd burn-up the pump on the way. Expected to replace the pump after I fixed the PS leak.

Actually, the PS pump survived just fine. Still using that same pump. Bypassed the cooler--just re-routed the return hose directly back to the pump. If I drove the truck much in the summer, I might need to add a PS cooler, and I probably should do that anyway--but "so far so good".

Ideally, you wouldn't use a worm-gear hose clamp. They're hateful. But sometimes a proper shielded clamp in the correct size is hard to come by. The "fuel injection" clamps in the photo are probably not available in a size large enough for PS return hose.
You must be registered for see images attach

For the record, PS return hose is NOT rubber fuel hose--neither low-pressure carburetor style, nor high-pressure fuel injection style. The fuel hose is probably not rated for the temperature of the returning PS fluid, and perhaps not for the chemical composition of the PS fluid. However, PS return hose and transmission cooler hose are interchangeable. I've gotten mine at NAPA, but I suspect every other parts store in North America can supply it.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "power steering cooler" (a loop of seamless steel tubing wound back-and-forth inside the left frame tube) of my '97 K2500 perforated due to incorrect hardware holding the snow-plow bracket to the frame. In other words, somebody crammed too-long bolts into the frame, and one of 'em rubbed on the "cooler" until it wore a hole in the tubing.

I had to drive the truck about 150 miles home when I bought it. I figured I'd burn-up the pump on the way. Expected to replace the pump after I fixed the PS leak.

Actually, the PS pump survived just fine. Still using that same pump. Bypassed the cooler--just re-routed the return hose directly back to the pump. If I drove the truck much in the summer, I might need to add a PS cooler, and I probably should do that anyway--but "so far so good".

Ideally, you wouldn't use a worm-gear hose clamp. They're hateful. But sometimes a proper shielded clamp in the correct size is hard to come by. The "fuel injection" clamps in the photo are probably not available in a size large enough for PS return hose.

For the record, PS return hose is NOT rubber fuel hose--neither low-pressure carburetor style, nor high-pressure fuel injection style. The fuel hose is probably not rated for the temperature of the returning PS fluid, and perhaps not for the chemical composition of the PS fluid. However, PS return hose and transmission cooler hose are interchangeable. I've gotten mine at NAPA, but I suspect every other parts store in North America can supply it.
I grudgingly put a worm gear on because that’s all I had, but I plan on adding one of these instead. Anyone know the o.d. of the rubber hose?

Kylebg94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have purchased sunsong ps hoses. Idk if there any good. But, the pressure hose looks way longer than the one that's leaking on the truck now. From what I hear, with many different brands. They are not drop right in without modification for fitment. Anyone else, experienced that?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I hear, with many different brands. They are not drop right in without modification for fitment.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I bought and installed the Sunsong this past week. Went in with zero issues, no leaks and all good. How would you modify it?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd expect the hose to be an exact-fit.

If it's not...it's not the right hose. Mis-boxed, wrong model year, or maybe intended for an optional engine.

I just passed-up an "opportunity" to shove a new PS pressure hose onto a 2006 Buick Terraza. The poor thing is just gushing PS fluid--I think I could empty the reservoir in thirty seconds if I held the steering at full lock. As is, she's doing a lot of highway driving (lower ps pressure 'cause the turns are all gentle) so she only has to refill the reservoir about every three days.

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I swapped my pump. I went to fuel injection clamps(on the sage advice of some of the people on this forum) after the worm gear clamps let me down. Of course as soon as i got the pump and cooler hoses locked down and leak free, the steering box started to vomit ps fluid everywhere (&^%$#@!@#$%^& as samuel jackson would say..), whereupon i swapped that out too.

Kylebg94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I bought and installed the Sunsong this past week. Went in with zero issues, no leaks and all good. How would you modify it?
The end that goes where the
The one on the truck, is further bent out than the this one on the end that goes where the steering shaft is. It also appears way longer on the other end. Than the one on the truck currently that's leaking.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The end that goes where the

The one on the truck, is further bent out than the this one on the end that goes where the steering shaft is. It also appears way longer on the other end. Than the one on the truck currently that's leaking.
Do you have a C3500?