New Drive Line Needed. YAY!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

323kielr

Reaction score
Hi crew,

I have 2 gmt400's. A 2000 K3500 pickup with a 5.7 vortec and NV4500 manual Trans. (The 5.7 pulls great with the manual trans)

The vehicle in question is our family hauler, it needs help.
Our 96 Suburban k1500 5.7, 4L60e with 180K on is in need of a new drive line.

Long story short:
I bought it 4 years ago with a misfire, and quickly discovered mechanical damage.

I replaced the heads (cracked), (and a lotta other stuff) and this patch job has got us 30K miles, and 4 years of lovely shakey driving. (Yes, it still has a random multiple misfire and is down on power). Cylinders 2 and 5 are not in great shape.
I will attached photos of the damaged cylinders, but hey 30K miles on them with little to no issues other than decreased power and slightly poor MPG. It actually runs pretty dam well considering. But the prolonged misfire has seemingly damaged the transmission. (Supposedly)

I have been pondering options for a while and I do not know which path is the one.

I am looking at crate motors, from gm performance, or blueprint engines as my block is not rebuildable.
Blue print has 3 options.
1) A stock option which would be fine. 50 state legal
2) The 383 vortec (but this requires 91 octane)
3) A 341 HP small block (but requires conversion to sniper efi) I asked if the Vortec intake will fit on this setup.
Alternatives might be the stock replacement (50.state?) engine with a cam.

Dreaming of an NV 4500 swap, but may settle for a 4L60e rebuild. I have an NV4500 sourced, but there is some electrical work and accessories to make this happen.

I am forced to spend the money, we love our vehicle, we are on a budget, and also have limited time due to 4 children. All of this considered, I am looking to my community here for guidance. I am not interested in any crazy swap, a Cummins or and LS are not options for me.

I have done some engine building, but I am by no means an expert. Against my better judgment, the option I am leaning towards is the stock replacement with a cam shaft (any recommendation) and a manual transmission.

Thanks in advance!
-Ezekiel

Attachments

• IMG_20240819_164438.jpg
    IMG_20240819_164438.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240819_164434.jpg
    IMG_20240819_164434.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 17

323kielr

Reaction score
Do you have any sort of pick-n-pull kind of yards around you? Sounds like you have some experience pulling wrenches, maybe worth some sweat equity to yank one out for probably the least money out of pocket.
Or like @Sean Buick 76 said, look for someone parting out one.
I have a few irons in the fire searching for a good core block. Thanks!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gamble on the junker? Or have the core rebuilt?
I'm not sure what the cost is of pulling your own in your parts. But I just paid $350 for a 6.0 LS with everything that was bolted on, included all the wiring and ECM. That's a gambling I'm willing to take. But it was clearly in a T-bone accident. And I'm going to tear it down, do an inspection and reseal it up before swapping it in this winter.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A misfire is hard on the cats. It will also unlock the torque converter and that can build heat. My 99 has 2 week cylinders and a misfire. Been like that for 160k miles. I used an aftermarket off road h pipe to get rid of the plugged cats. Bought a parts Tahoe for 300 bucks that needed a fuel pump but it was nicer than my work Tahoe so I pulled the motor out of my work Tahoe and sent it home with 1952chevy when he was home on leave for a k1500 sub he bought with intake making a milk shake in the oil pan. You can buy good running trucks owned by old men that reach the point that they aren't doing anymore to it. They want to see it go to someone that can use it and you can buy for scrap price

323kielr

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I was able to source a candidate block, and I really trust my machine shop, so we are going to roll the dice. Pray for the current block to hold up for the next few months while the engine is being built. It has held up for 30K, whats another 3,000 miles.
Only bummer is I am going to be doing the swap in the rain up here in the PNW.

Anyone have any insight on the NV4500 swap? I have all of the hardware sourced. I am slightly concerned about the wiring (deleting all the garbage for the auto) and of course the gear ratio. It is an early NV4500 so Gearing: 6.34, 3.44, 1.71, 1, .73. Leaving in second will be fine just like my K3500. I believe I have a 3.42 rear end.