Mystery Box Behind Glove Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

991500Burb

Reaction score
Can anyone help me identify what this box is. It has an antenna lead that used to go to an antenna mounted on the read pass window. It has a GM labeled cable going into it. This Suburban used to have a cell phone mounted in the center console so maybe it was for that? It sure looks factory. Its on my 1999 GMC Suburban K1500.
You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sub'd as I'm curious now too. It sure sits in that plastic tray like it was always meant to be there. Wonder if it isn't some kind of factory amp?

991500Burb

Reaction score
Sub'd as I'm curious now too. It sure sits in that plastic tray like it was always meant to be there. Wonder if it isn't some kind of factory amp?
It does have the Bose sound system. I don't know why there would be an antenna for it? I thought it might have been for OnStar but I don't think that was availible in 99.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The BOSE amp doesn't use a DB25 connector anyway. If not OnStar then I would have to guess it's for the cellular... Or there's also references to a "Vehicle Interface Unit", but I can't find any info about this. Does remind me of OnStar tho, perhaps early implementation?

Last edited:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Note the covered sticker in that link...

Visible in this one. It's OnStar, and has nothing to do with amplification of anything related to radio audio.

GM Part Number 09365789 ... And there's no reliable info on this module anywhere. Everyone seems to think it has something to do with radio amplifying. But a Suburban's audio amp is under the driver seat.