Mystery Box Behind Glove Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
In some of the wiring diagrams between 98-99 various models of GMT400 (Suburban, Escalade), this module is (barely) included - it has connections to all three available data lines (Class2, E&C, and UART Serial from the Airbag unit), the power locks circuits, and does have outputs going to the radio's AUX input cable. But that's all I can find about it.

Connections to radio:
You must be registered for see images attach

Data lines:

Notice its connections directly to the door lock and unlock switches (second module down):

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Its connection to radio was probably just to hear dispatcher speaking back to you. Apparently it unlocked your doors too.
Yup OnStar has a mini speaker over the driver so their dispatcher can talk to them in the event of an emergency. Our Denali had a cell phone service with them too, though we never used it and didn't renew it after the trial period.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I promise that wasn't a dig at you specifically - even searches of the PN on Google bring up pretty much "Radio Amp" this and "radio amp" that lol. Seems like nobody really knows.
Yeah, no biggie, I did think it was an amp.

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score
uncommon for a suburban to have OnStar in 99. Pretty cool! Obsolete of course, but cool nonetheless. I've been looking for onstar components to add to my Tahoe just because it was a cool option plus i like the look of the rear exterior antenna.