My Crimson Cruiser - 1996 GMC 1500 Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think (I was at work when he changed them) that Dad used a pitman arm puller on our '90 and '99 Burbs. He had to replace the pitman arm twice on the '90, once after we had just gotten it and again the year before it quit running, several years later. Looks like a C shape with a big bolt in the center; you turn that and it's supposed to pop the PA off the steering box shaft.
That’s what I just got done using, it took a lot of work. All this stuff is original and just really stuck the hell on there.

the puller stopped turning with my impact so I took it off and used a fork for a little bit. It budged a little bit. It also helped to hit the arm with a hammer for vibration.

I got the puller back on with a breaker bar and had my grandpa stand on the box. It took a while only because it kept moving around so much on the ground.

Breaker bar and puller worked best.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@HotWheelsBurban do you (or anyone else) know how to fully drain this box? I want to get it dried out so I can send it back for my core charge.
I've never done it, but if there is only the two inlet/outlet ports, maybe some compressed air in one of them may force the rest of the fluid out?
Again...... I've never seen it, done it, heard of it done, but seems to make sense. Probably?!?!?! Lol

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never done it, but if there is only the two inlet/outlet ports, maybe some compressed air in one of them may force the rest of the fluid out?
Again...... I've never seen it, done it, heard of it done, but seems to make sense. Probably?!?!?! Lol
That could work.. I’ve just had it sitting with the ports upside down for a couple hours while I’m out with my fiance. Hopefully that’s good enough for the return process.

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips for degreasing and cleaning? Where I should and shouldn’t clean? What I should cover up? don’t know if I can just run a hose on everything or not. I wanna also clean my engine bay up pretty good.

I am using this VHT roll body and undercarriage spray paint for my steering linkage. Can I use this on the frame after cleaning it? Recommendations for my Home Depot run?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Just seeing this; @Drunkcanuk 's idea sounds good to me. I think Dad built the gearbox on our '84 burb but I wasn't much involved in that part of it. Back in the '90s he spent all day in the shop, working on our vehicles or parts of them, while Mom and I were at work.