New 1997 Chevy 1500 Z71 (TO ME)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickyxxl

Reaction score
Welcome! New trucks are fun but they aren’t without their headaches or unexpected findings.

What I would do:

1) change all the fluids and filters, send in the engine oil for analysis at Blackstone Labs. I would bet money that the gear oil is factory fill.

2) inspect the front end for play. Ball joints, steering box, pitman/idler, tie rods, bushings, etc. It is possible those are original too. Grease grease grease those parts! Not excessively, just repeating to state how important it is. I grease my front end every oil change.

3) adjust your shoes! Proper brake adjustment is key. Use your parking brake. It helps keep the shoes adjusted. Also just give the brakes a general inspection. While you’re doing this check your axle seals.

4) track your fuel economy. Fuel economy gives you a good idea of what to expect. When your results differ from your expectations after a couple tanks of fuel you might need to investigate.

5) add some QOL upgrades. @5vortec7 sells a big 3 upgrade kit for your battery, grounds, alternator, and starter wires. You can also hit him up for a 4 hi mod. @Cokeman95 sells great replacement splash shields. There are other great members to deal with here as well.

6) Other stuff is the spider injector upgrade to replace the OE injection. It is a drop in upgrade. I don’t know a ton about it because I’ve got all TBI trucks in my fleet.

7) enjoy it! You own one of the greatest GM products ever produced.

Again, welcome! She sure is pretty! Everyone here is great to be around.
I know it’s probably easier to search but so many diagrams show up. Where would I find diagrams to learn the truck itself and look into some of the things you’ve listed above. Is there a wiki of diagrams on this site to reference from?

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it’s probably easier to search but so many diagrams show up. Where would I find diagrams to learn the truck itself and look into some of the things you’ve listed above. Is there a wiki of diagrams on this site to reference from?