Locker for 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4.56-4.88 really kinda a toss up either one won’t be a crazy difference. One thing I’d seriously consider is finding a 14bolt axle to dump money into then swap into your truck. It would minimize your downtime, and be a huge upgrade in terms of strength. I know if I had 4.88s and a posi in a 2wd truck I’d be doing lots of burnouts and brake launches. In that case a factory 10bolt axle is gonna be hurting, especially with 35s

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m definitely not an expert on these trucks to tell you exactly what years or models. However, any 3/4ton aka 2500 truck should have a 9.5” or 10.5” ring gear 14bolt axle. I believe there’s some that are even 6 lug bolt pattern 2500 so your wheels would be the same where most 2500s are 8 lug.

Or if you can weld get an axle out of something new with disk brakes and cut off the old brackets and weld new ones on. I have an axle out of an H2 hummer in mine. It has big disk brakes, an electronic selectable locker, and 4.10 gears.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck might be 3/4 ton. It has a huge brakes for a 1/2 ton 1500. 7 pin trailer connector and trailer brake. I’ll have to make sure I know what I’m talking about before I say anymore haha.
Run your RPO codes in the glove box if they are still readable. Or get your VIN number run from any number of online sources, that will tell you what you should have.

Reaction score
So I do have a posi rear end. I have a G80.

G80Differential, heavy-duty locking rear
G80Differential, automatic locking rear
G80Differential, limited slip
G80Auto-locking rear differential
G80AXLE,REAR,POSITRACTION,LIMITED SLIP

Now which G80 do I have? With a GT4.
It looks like this might be a heavier duty 1500 because of the factory trans cooler and towing stuff. I have a full list of my RPO codes and was just checking. I also have the JB5 brakes with the 1.25” thick rotors.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So I do have a posi rear end. I have a G80.

G80Differential, heavy-duty locking rear
G80Differential, automatic locking rear
G80Differential, limited slip
G80Auto-locking rear differential
G80AXLE,REAR,POSITRACTION,LIMITED SLIP

Now which G80 do I have? With a GT4.
It looks like this might be a heavier duty 1500 because of the factory trans cooler and towing stuff. I have a full list of my RPO codes and was just checking. I also have the JB5 brakes with the 1.25” thick rotors.

No, you don't have a posi. As I mentioned earlier GM didn't ever equip our trucks with a posi. They used a locker. The G80 RPO means different things for different platforms and years. G80 in a truck will be a locker. Exactly which one will be determined by the rear axle and maybe ratio.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You make that sound very enticing! And I think I’ll begin the search. What did a 14 bolt come off of? My buddy has tons of axles at his place. He’s always buying and selling stuff he has no use for.
If your interested in popping in a G80 (whether your truck has one or not). See attached pdf list of Light Duty trucks that have a G80 (RPO) GM PN 22849885. Hope this helps. BTW I have a G80 in my 91 GMC C2500.

Attachments

• G80_PN22849885.pdf
    190.9 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
That’s my bad. I had the RPO wording down as the posi so I just typed that. I did say though “Now which G80 do I have?” So how does that locker work? I watched a YouTube video someone posted of an Anthony3250 who explains the Eaton G80 in his 2wd Silverado. It is the generation after ours so like late 99+.
I have a 10 bolt with 3.73 gears. Which 10bolt idk. I do know it has huge drums. Well huge for my 15” wheels. There’s some room in there but only about 2-3”.