LED Gauge Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any of the 194-style wedge bases will work for the gauges and courtesy lights. I used the HP5s in my gauges. At $6 each, you'll spend a TON of money if that's what you elect to use in the courtesy and license plate lights, though, and I think the HP5s (or any of the HPs for that matter) might be overkill in those applications. I just have the normal WLED-x5s in my under dash lights and the WLED-x6 in the doors and license plate lights.

And yes, the T1.5 for the HVAC.

sweet thanks bud now i just need to order them....

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Okay, i got paid today so i wants to orders me some LEDs. But just to clarify; for a '92, i would need WLED-x, but will a WLED-x6 work? Can i just sand off that ugly-ass green film or whatever that makes the dash light-up green? Will i also need twist locks to order or can i just pull out the original bulbs and pop in the LEDs?

Read through this whole damn thread but NO ONE has even mentioned the '94 and under trucks, it seems.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, i got paid today so i wants to orders me some LEDs. But just to clarify; for a '92, i would need WLED-x, but will a WLED-x6 work?

As has been said before, how many LEDs you get on each bulb is completely up to your own preference. I have tried x1, x4, x5 and x6 LEDs in clusters and I have the HP5s now. The HP5s, TO ME, are by far the best of the bunch. They're pricey, but they look great.

Can i just sand off that ugly-ass green film or whatever that makes the dash light-up green?

You can, but you'll likely not need to. This is my '91 moonie cluster with blue HP5 LEDs and without removing the green from the backside...

You must be registered for see images attach

The LEDs overpower the green and make it unnoticeable.

Will i also need twist locks to order or can i just pull out the original bulbs and pop in the LEDs?

I've never done a '91-'94 needle cluster, so I can't be 100% certain, but I don't think you'll need twist-locks.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Thanks a ton for the reply. Now i want to ask you, in your personal opinion, what looked better between x5 and x6? I would get the HP's but im not willing to spend $40 on dash lights at the moment.

EDIT: Nevermind, ended up buying the x4's in Cool White. Hope they look bluish, otherwise ill take that green off. Thanks again!

Last edited:

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks a ton for the reply. Now i want to ask you, in your personal opinion, what looked better between x5 and x6? I would get the HP's but im not willing to spend $40 on dash lights at the moment.

The money for the HP5s was stiff, but I feel it was worth it.

As for the x4, x5 and x6, I preferred the x6. The x5 illuminated the cluster the most evenly of the 3, but I just didn't feel they were bright enough. The x6 had some pretty noticeable hot spots, but they were overall brighter and worked better for me. The x4 I just didn't feel were bright enough.

EDIT: Nevermind, ended up buying the x4's in Cool White. Hope they look bluish, otherwise ill take that green off. Thanks again![/QUOTE]

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Damn, turns out my dash cluster has the type of bulbs that are micro-welded into the twist locks. Will have to order some on Wednesday. Gonna take out the original radio as well, because i had no clue it was bolted to the HVAC and now its all bent to hell. AND the two torx screws on the right side holding the dash bezel on DONT hold the dash bezel on anymore, they dont seem to thread.

I love my truck but these little things are making me start to hate it. My fault i guess.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Someone should REALLY edit the OP to mention the wire in my '92 that moves the gear indicator when you shift, because you cant get the cluster all the way off without taking the wire off, and it is a ***** to get back on. Didnt even get mine back on tonight after the LED install, i think it was glued into the original place. Im sure its not in the +95's since its not in the original posts, im just surprised no-ones mentioned it in the thread.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Someone should REALLY edit the OP to mention the wire in my '92 that moves the gear indicator when you shift, because you cant get the cluster all the way off without taking the wire off, and it is a ***** to get back on. Didnt even get mine back on tonight after the LED install, i think it was glued into the original place. Im sure its not in the +95's since its not in the original posts, im just surprised no-ones mentioned it in the thread.

Why should the original post be edited to add info for the pre-'95 clusters when this is the very first line in the entire thread?

This is for the 95-99 GMT-400 truck and SUV gauge clusters

Yes, it is true that there is some info about the earlier clusters here-and-there in the thread, but this thread is first and foremost about the '95-'98 clusters.

My only experience with the early clusters is on my '91 moonie cluster and that truck is a 5-speed, so I have no knowledge of the gear indicator situation.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Why should the original post be edited to add info for the pre-'95 clusters when this is the very first line in the entire thread?

Yes, it is true that there is some info about the earlier clusters here-and-there in the thread, but this thread is first and foremost about the '95-'98 clusters.

My only experience with the early clusters is on my '91 moonie cluster and that truck is a 5-speed, so I have no knowledge of the gear indicator situation.

Just saying, maybe a little note would help.