Laredo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Since we're on the subject - 184K miles on OEM tensioner and pulley...chucked the belt and destroyed the pulley in a spectacular fashion.

You must be registered for see images attach

I put new pulleys and belt on it and checked the action. The tensioner was rock steady and within its limits, even with the A/C turned on, so it "seemed" fine. However, the belt was riding towards the rear of the pulley a little bit. NOT fine. I popped the belt off and started to loosen the bolt on the tensioner, and the thing practically fell apart. So back to the parts house for a new Gates tensioner.

In retrospect you can probably tell in the first pic the tensioner arm is riding at an angle, indicating an issue. I think I was a bit too bleary-eyed at the time to notice right away.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe this was the first tow performed by my '94 3500HD wrecker in its first incarnation as a shop truck, other than just moving trucks around at the yard. 120 mile round trip to pick up the '93 I'd built for my then-g/f.

Richard