Laredo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t lose your patience, take a deep breath and step back. If that doesn’t help have a drink and wait until tomorrow.
The tensioner will move a little, if the belt is running straight and not making noise, it’s probably fine.
So looking forward to seeing this truck moving.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Question for guys: How much does your belt tensioner move, if at all, while your engine is idling? Mine has some minor movement back and forth, and I can't recall if it exhibited this movement prior to the teardown. All the pulleys are solid, so I'm hoping it's not yet another issue I need to address. Between having to repair the brake fluid leaks, coolant leak, and power steering fluid leak, I'm starting to lose my patience with this truck. :fca5278d:
They all move a little bit during operation, I would say no more than a quarter inch but probably closer to an eighth inch. Just enough to notice...and think, oh cwap, is something ELSE fixing to break on this thing?!
There are marks or raised bars on the tensioner body, and if the movement is within those markings, it's probably okay. When they really move a lot, then the tensioner or belt is going bad.
And I've decided that they're supposed to try your patience, that's why I call my two "my metal kids".

Laredo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don’t lose your patience, take a deep breath and step back. If that doesn’t help have a drink and wait until tomorrow.
The tensioner will move a little, if the belt is running straight and not making noise, it’s probably fine.
So looking forward to seeing this truck moving.
To be on the safe side, I decided to do all the above---take a deep breath, step back, and drink. :D

Laredo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They all move a little bit during operation, I would say no more than a quarter inch but probably closer to an eighth inch. Just enough to notice...and think, oh cwap, is something ELSE fixing to break on this thing?!
There are marks or raised bars on the tensioner body, and if the movement is within those markings, it's probably okay. When they really move a lot, then the tensioner or belt is going bad.
And I've decided that they're supposed to try your patience, that's why I call my two "my metal kids".
That's great to hear. It doesn't move much but enough to concern me after not having a running truck for quite some time.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
That's great to hear. It doesn't move much but enough to concern me after not having a running truck for quite some time.
I had noticed the one on my crew cab was jumping more, especially after having to replace the belt cause the idler pulley locked up and shredded it. Would've replaced all three at once but couldn't afford to then. So after finally getting some other work done to it, checked the tensioner and it was so bad it wouldn't have gotten us all the way home (just 10 miles). I had bought it before a recent road trip, intending to replace it on that trip. I don't like some things about the way it's made, but it does the job and barely moves at all. And at least the belt setup on a Vortec 350 is pretty simple and only takes a few tools(which I keep in the truck).

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a tensioner I replaced the pulley on, but I’m just a a little hesitant about using it. Would hate for a meltdown with that at speed. :banghead:
yes, yes you would. I shredded the serpentine at speed (55'ish) that ended up being from a locked up tensioner. No power brakes, no power steering, instant temp spike, and the wonderful smell of melting rubber from all the shredded goodness wrapped up in everything. And now you're on the side of the road with a HOT engine. I carry a spare serp belt/tools, but not a tensioner. Fun times.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
yes, yes you would. I shredded the serpentine at speed (55'ish) that ended up being from a locked up tensioner. No power brakes, no power steering, instant temp spike, and the wonderful smell of melting rubber from all the shredded goodness wrapped up in everything. And now you're on the side of the road with a HOT engine. I carry a spare serp belt/tools, but not a tensioner. Fun times.
Yup when the belt was shredding itself, we were at low speed between the freeway underpass and the light to turn into the Kroger store parking lot, was going to fill up at the fuel center behind the grocery store. I'd been smelling burnt rubber for a block, and it was getting worse. Put the window down and realized it was us making the smell! Lots of truck traffic in the area and there's always smells and noises from them. Then the brake pedal started getting harder to hold down and the steering was stiffer. Light changes, we gun it into the parking lot, with the hazard flashers on. Park and switch drivers so I can muscle the brakes and steering. Got it into a space away from everyone else, trying to avoid the other dummies in the lot who don't understand what I am dealing with and why I can't easily get this big beastie out of their way, as the temp needle is climbing.... fortunately we were only a few blocks from the local O'Reilly's. And I had the tools in the truck to do the job.
Worst part of it, I could barely afford the belt and idler pulley (idler bearing had locked up and that's what caused this mess)(cause stuff like this doesn't happen on the right side of the paycheck) so I didn't replace the tensioner then. And the belt was the original one, still had the GM # on it! 28 years that thing lasted!
Our incident was in December last year, but it was not too cold, pleasant sunny day. And we'd only driven a couple of miles so it wasn't too hot under the hood. And my walk to the parts store and back, have it more time to cool off! Belt had wrapped itself around the water pump neck and pulley but wasn't hard to get it removed, and no damage was done to those items.

Attachments

• IMG_20231207_121137563_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231207_121137563_HDR.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 2

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too, maybe a spare(tensioner), isn’t a bad idea.:hmm:
Agreed. Sadly, in my saga, I checked the important items and they all seemed fine, so I just thought it was the belt itself, and breathed a sigh of relief that it wasn't the water or ps pump. Waited for it to cool, unwound the mess, replaced it, and was immediately reminded that the tensioner pully is also an important item. Now I've got to get to a parts store, etc etc etc. No bueno. Thankfully it was a nice weather, middle of the day, within 5 miles of the house kindathing.... could have been so much worse.