just got some chrome valve covers, now what to put in the holes in them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well I got confused on some of the info online, they said not to run a breather cap by itself and then a pcv on the other or something, since it would just suck in air from outside or put air out. Also had said the tbi pcv doesn't suck air in, or I should say suck air out from the fresh air tube that goes to the spacer ring, said it pushed air into the valve cover thru that tube and out the pcv? WTF??? I thought the pcv sucked air out but I figured the tube in back did too.

Some said yea breather is fine, remove the tube and put it in, then keep the pcv too. Confuses me.

I think though that cap I posted with the nipple but without the pcv ball, that should work in back, instead of the tube right into the VC it'd go in that then into the VC, and the pcv one has the ball so it'd work like stock too.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
well I got confused on some of the info online, they said not to run a breather cap by itself and then a pcv on the other or something, since it would just suck in air from outside or put air out. Also had said the tbi pcv doesn't suck air in, or I should say suck air out from the fresh air tube that goes to the spacer ring, said it pushed air into the valve cover thru that tube and out the pcv? WTF??? I thought the pcv sucked air out but I figured the tube in back did too.

Some said yea breather is fine, remove the tube and put it in, then keep the pcv too. Confuses me.

I think though that cap I posted with the nipple but without the pcv ball, that should work in back, instead of the tube right into the VC it'd go in that then into the VC, and the pcv one has the ball so it'd work like stock too.
where in the hell did you hear that? thats complete BS.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
that wrong, the reason a tube is their is to suck the oil fumes from your crank case and reburn them, not the other way around.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea what I was just reading on wiki I think clearly said one side has pcv and the other takes in clean fresh air from the air cleaner/breather to help dilute the crap and keep fresh air in the crankcase. So they got it mixed it, it does take in some air, but it's not forced in, it's sucked in by the pcv, when it's sucking the crankcase the air is getting pulled in.

So in that theory exactly what you said is true, use a breather cap or use the tube either one as long as it can get air in, and it's in the opposite valve cover.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
yea what I was just reading on wiki I think clearly said one side has pcv and the other takes in clean fresh air from the air cleaner/breather to help dilute the crap and keep fresh air in the crankcase. So they got it mixed it, it does take in some air, but it's not forced in, it's sucked in by the pcv, when it's sucking the crankcase the air is getting pulled in.

So in that theory exactly what you said is true, use a breather cap or use the tube either one as long as it can get air in, and it's in the opposite valve cover.
yup, i used just a breather on my 4.3L for a couple years, other cover had the factory PCV. had no problems.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the info bro I get confused easy anymore.

I'm going with a breather on the DS and then the pcv on the other.

You think it'd be stupid to put 2 breather caps on the DS valve cover? They are cheaper then the oil fill cap. The oil fill cap is like $5 and the breathers are like $3.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
IMHO, i would get an oil fill cap, but i ran two breathers at one point, worked fine, just looked funny.