Spark plugs-Oil consumption-5k mile rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alfonzo

Reaction score
I had the same issue after installing an 06 5.3 in my 89 Silverado. Almost all of my plugs looked like that. Not sure this helps you (not sure what engines or years were the problem) but I was told to change my drivers side valve cover. There is a new design with a baffle that stops the PCV system from sucking excessive oil and putting it in the intake. Mine had the same smoke on start up and more oil consumption (about a quart every 350 miles) Once I changed the valve covers (I just did both), problem solved. Look up the new valve cover design and you will find more information about it. Hope this helps because it was pretty simple to fix.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same issue after installing an 06 5.3 in my 89 Silverado. Almost all of my plugs looked like that. Not sure this helps you (not sure what engines or years were the problem) but I was told to change my drivers side valve cover. There is a new design with a baffle that stops the PCV system from sucking excessive oil and putting it in the intake. Mine had the same smoke on start up and more oil consumption (about a quart every 350 miles) Once I changed the valve covers (I just did both), problem solved. Look up the new valve cover design and you will find more information about it. Hope this helps because it was pretty simple to fix.
you need the valve cover, theres also a new oil cap itself, and there is a PCV (fixed orifice) that will help solve those issues.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the issues with your truck! Given the symptoms you're describing, let's break down what might be happening and how to fix it.

- Focus on valve stem seals for cylinders 7 and 8.
- Consider a compression and leak-down test to evaluate the rings.
- Check the PCV system.
- Evaluate the ECM tuning for the cam setup.

Hang in there! It sounds like you're on the right track to diagnosing and hopefully fixing the issue. If you have more questions, feel free to ask!